VS2005 Standard vs Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I'm ready to purchase VS2005, but really not sure which version is more appropriate. (been using professional evaluation version).

There's a BIG price difference between the standard and the professional edition, but only few major differences (remote debugging, integrated IDE for SQL server...etc).

Could someone comment to why professional may be a better choice than standard, including nuances/features not mentioned by Microsoft's comparison chart.

Thanks,
    Phillip

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:51 PM

Answers

• Your question is a bit off-topic in this forum but about it, it depends on your needs and the kind of projects and development that you plan to do. What I would do is to download the Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition and use it (it's free). Then, after some time, note if you miss something that you need in your day by day development. Then check if the missing feature(s) are in the Standard edition. That way you could know that the the Standard edition meets your needs. If not, you know that you need the Professional edition.

FWIW, I haven't done remote debugging in my life, and I could live without the SQL Server inside the IDE (I have used Oracle for years, which lacked integration until the new data tools from Oracle some months ago...). So, it all depends on your needs really.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:55 AM