none
Retrieve Value From DataSet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a datatable which is populated with two rows from a SQL DB.  One row of the datatable is used as a drop down list in a combobox control.

I was looking to populate a textbox control based on the value selected in the combobox, for example the combobox contains a code, and the txtbox should look up that code and return the description from the datatable.  Any ideas?

By the way, my datatable does not have a primary key.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:28 PM

Answers

• Code Block

DataRow[] rows = DataSet.Tables[0].Select("code = " + ComboBox.Text);

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help on this.  I have managed to resolve the issue.  I used a modified version of your original code, i.e.

txtPublic.Text = dsLookup.Tables[0].Select("prom_code = '" + cmbPromCode.Text + "'")[0].ItemArray[1].ToString();

Where txtPublic is the control I was trying to populate, "prom_code" is the 1st column in the datatable.

Thanks for all your help tony.

Thanks

Sukh

Monday, October 1, 2007 8:03 AM

All replies

• Code Block

DataRow[] rows = DataSet.Tables[0].Select("code = " + ComboBox.Text);

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Thanks for that but I get the following error;

Syntax error: Missing operand after 'SC' operator.

This is the code I am Running;

private void cmbPromCode_SelectedValueChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

DataRow[] rows = dsLookup.Tables[0].Select("public = " + cmbPromCode.Text);

MessageBox.Show(rows.ToString());

}

Friday, September 28, 2007 11:54 AM
  • if it's not numeric data in the select, wrap it with single quote '

DataRow[] rows = dsLookup.Tables[0].Select("public = '" + cmbPromCode.Text + “‘”);

Btw, rows.ToString() doesn't show content of the row.

Sukh1983 wrote:

Thanks for that but I get the following error;

Syntax error: Missing operand after 'SC' operator.

This is the code I am Running;

private void cmbPromCode_SelectedValueChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

DataRow[] rows = dsLookup.Tables[0].Select("public = " + cmbPromCode.Text);

MessageBox.Show(rows.ToString());

}

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Sorry that did not work.  Let me explain further.  The DataSet extracts two columns (prom_code, public) and populates a datatable, tblLookup.  The prom_code values are used as the drop down list in cmbPromCode.  Once a user selects a value from cmbPromCode I need another control on my form, txtPublic to be populated based on the selected value, i.e. the cmbPromCode_SelectedValueChanged event procedure should lookup the selected value in cmbPromCode, and return the corresponding public value from the datatable?

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:18 PM
  • you can bind table with display member, value member to your combobox like I mentioned here

or you can select the data from datable like I mention above, it works fine for my own little test.

Code Block

private void comboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                DataRow[] rows = dt.Select("NAME = '" + comboBox1.Text + "'");
                label1.Text = string.Format("display: {0} value: {1}",
                    comboBox1.Text, rows[0]["ID"].ToString());
            }

since you got the syntax error, that must come from the select statement, if that's fixed, why it still doesnt work?

Sukh1983 wrote:

Hi Tony,

Sorry that did not work.  Let me explain further.  The DataSet extracts two columns (prom_code, public) and populates a datatable, tblLookup.  The prom_code values are used as the drop down list in cmbPromCode.  Once a user selects a value from cmbPromCode I need another control on my form, txtPublic to be populated based on the selected value, i.e. the cmbPromCode_SelectedValueChanged event procedure should lookup the selected value in cmbPromCode, and return the corresponding public value from the datatable?

Thanks

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help on this.  I have managed to resolve the issue.  I used a modified version of your original code, i.e.

txtPublic.Text = dsLookup.Tables[0].Select("prom_code = '" + cmbPromCode.Text + "'")[0].ItemArray[1].ToString();

Where txtPublic is the control I was trying to populate, "prom_code" is the 1st column in the datatable.

Thanks for all your help tony.

Thanks

Sukh

Monday, October 1, 2007 8:03 AM