none
Exchange 2010 Contacts Maximum Field Lengths RRS feed

Answers

• What i was trying to get across about this which is the case with those particular fields you mentioned is that Exchange itself doesn't limit the number of characters that can be entered in a field past what is defined for that particular datatype. So with the Given Name you can programatically set it up to the limit of what PtypeString will take. The problem you have however is that the GUI element that is used in Outlook limits that number of characters that can be displayed which it doesn't appear to have changed in Outlook 2010 that i can see. An important distinction is that OWA doesn't impose the same limit so you can enter and display a larger given name in OWA in 2010 then you can in Outlook.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by Jason Hale Friday, February 25, 2011 1:13 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:24 AM

All replies

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425499%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Look for the documentation that relates to the particular datatypes being used that you interested in rather then any particular field

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:22 AM
  • I should have been a little more clear in my original post.  I am looking for the maximum number of characters the string fields can take.  For example, using Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2003, I determined that GivenName, MiddleName, and SurName can take 128 characters.  We are in the process of upgrading to Exchange 2010.  I'm not sure if the character limits changed between 2003 and 2010, if it's dependant in any way on the version of Outlook, etc.  I cannot locate any documentation on this whatsoever.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:50 PM
  • What i was trying to get across about this which is the case with those particular fields you mentioned is that Exchange itself doesn't limit the number of characters that can be entered in a field past what is defined for that particular datatype. So with the Given Name you can programatically set it up to the limit of what PtypeString will take. The problem you have however is that the GUI element that is used in Outlook limits that number of characters that can be displayed which it doesn't appear to have changed in Outlook 2010 that i can see. An important distinction is that OWA doesn't impose the same limit so you can enter and display a larger given name in OWA in 2010 then you can in Outlook.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by Jason Hale Friday, February 25, 2011 1:13 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Thanks.  
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:13 PM