Azure Data Catalog Assets are not editable when I register an asset via REST API RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the REST API of Azure Data Catalog to register new assets. My users need to be able to add/change tags and description. However, when I register new assets over REST API, add tag buttons and description text field disappear.

I suspect I need to pass a parameter in the json to make the fields editable. In the official documentation I couldn't find anything related.

I have all of the admin rights in all of my users, so I don't think it is an access rights issue.

How can I make the assets editable?

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Berkan Ercan,

Thanks for reaching out. By default assets created by the API have its Contributor role set only to the user creating it, this is set only at creation time and cannot be changed even by admins.

Therefore to ensure that others can edit you have to contributors to <everyone> (it can only be everyone or itself). 

<Everyone> has objectId "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000201"
    So in the API payload add the following roles json:

{
            "roles": [
                {
                    "role": "Contributor",
                    "members": [
                        {
                            "objectId": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000201"
                        }
                    ]
                }
            ]
        }

Reference: For further info, please refer to this doc: Azure Data Catalog developer concepts 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:41 AM
  • Hi Berkan Ercan,

Just checking to see if the above info was helpful. If this answers your query, please do consider to click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" as it might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:08 PM
  • Dear KranthiPakala, 

Your answer shows the correct direction. But it is not a complete answer. I have found out that for each annotation, community role need to be added separately and not just in front of the main json blob. Moreover, I still cannot make experts editable.

[{**getRoles(), **{"properties": {"expert": {"upn": "xxx@xxx.de"},"fromSourceSystem": False,"key": "expert"}}},{**getRoles(), **{"properties": {"expert": {"upn": "xxx@xxxx.de"},"fromSourceSystem": False,"key": "expert-2"}}}]

where getRoles looks ike this:

def getRoles():
    return {"roles": [{"role": "Contributor", "members": [{"objectId": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000201"}]}]}

Does experts have a special condition?

Monday, May 25, 2020 10:09 AM
  • Hi Berkan Ercan,

Thanks for sharing your insights and bringing this to our attention regarding experts edit issue. For deeper investigation and immediate assistance, If you have a support plan you may file a support ticket, else could you please send an email to AzCommunity@Microsoft.com with the below details, so that we can enable a one-time-free support ticket for you to work closely on this matter. 

Email subject: <Attn - Kranthi : MSDN Thread title>
    Thread URL: <MSDN Thread>
    Subscription ID:  <your subscription id>

Please let us know once you have done the same. 

Thank you

Monday, June 1, 2020 9:06 PM
  • Hi Berkan Ercan,

Following up to see if you have got a chance to file a SR or share the details requested in my previous comment. 

Thank you

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:54 PM