none
Deploy Windows 10 desktop driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I builded a simple hello world driver for Windows 10 Desktop using Visual Studio 2015,

using the following link: 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh439665(v=vs.85).aspx
    Successfully got builded and .sys file is generated.

When i try to deploy this windows 10 driver by setting local windows debugger, it asks me to select a valid target machine for deployment. Am not able to set the target machine.

Could you assist in deploying the driver.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shwetha
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:42 AM

All replies

• In the link you specified, there is a section titled "Deploy and install the driver".  There's a link there that says  Provision a computer for driver deployment and testing (WDK 10).  This should be what you're looking for.  There's also a good video here.
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thank u for the information.

But i wanted to know can we deploy it in the local machine, as they are mentioning about target computer.

Waiting for the reply.

Regards,

Shwetha

• Edited by Shwetha s Friday, March 11, 2016 5:05 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2016 5:04 AM
  • deploying a kernel driver to the machine you are using to compile the driver is a very very bad idea

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 11, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Like Doron said, you need a VM or another machine for deployment. If you just want to know how you can install the driver, then you can use DevCon utility.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Local kernel debugging is of very limited use.  Think about it.  The kernel debugger is running as a process on the system.  If the system gets stopped because of a breakpoint, the debugger is also going to stop.

If you need to debug a kernel driver, you need two systems (one or both of which can be VMs).

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Monday, March 14, 2016 4:39 PM