The operating system returned error 38(Reached the end of the file.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000001f3400000 in file RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting below error while inserting into a table,

Msg 1823, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.

Msg 1823, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Msg 7928, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.

DBCC results for 'XXXXFactor'.

There are 12474 rows in 76 pages for object "XXXXFactor".

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Msg 823, Level 24, State 2, Line 1

The operating system returned error 38(Reached the end of the file.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000001f3400000 in file 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\XXXX_data.ndf:MSSQL_DBCC17'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Check DB results:

The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.

Msg 5030, Level 16, State 12, Line 1

The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

Msg 7926, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Check statement aborted. The database could not be checked as a database snapshot could not be created and the database or table could not be locked. See Books Online for details of when this behavior is expected and what workarounds exist. Also see previous errors for more details.

The operating system returned error 38(Reached the end of the file.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000001f3400000 in file 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\XXXX.ndf:MSSQL_DBCC17'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

can anyone help me sort out this issue!

PS: have 50% of free space in E Drive.

Thanks in Advance!

Siva
    Monday, March 8, 2010 11:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• did u checked the database for integrity..the msg clearly says to run dbcc checkdb
    check this link

Cheers!!! SqlFrenzy
    Monday, March 8, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Yes i had tried with different flavors of  check db.!
    Siva
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Yes i had tried with different flavors of  check db.!
    Siva
    RESULTS??
    Cheers!!! SqlFrenzy
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Check DB results:

Msg 5030, Level 16, State 12, Line 1

The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

Msg 7926, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Check statement aborted. The database could not be checked as a database snapshot could not be created and the database or table could not be locked. See Books Online for details of when this behavior is expected and what workarounds exist. Also see previous errors for more details.

The operating system returned error 38(Reached the end of the file.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000001f3400000 in file 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\XXXX.ndf:MSSQL_DBCC17'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Siva
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:01 AM
  • got one more link about this issue http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2010/01/08/dbcc-check-commands-encounter-problems-and-reports-errors.aspx. believe, this may help me to avoid , kind of errors in future!
    Siva
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:04 AM
  • sry I missed the checkdb results in your original post.
    this may help you...

Cheers!!! SqlFrenzy
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:30 AM
  • I had the same error. My SQL did not start because the affected database  was Tempdb.  The whole thing started when I was in the process of moving Tempdb to another drive. I altered the database using "ALTER DATABASE tempDB MODIFY FILE". But the new destination drive did not have enough space. So, my SQL did not start.

Here is the solution which worked for me:

The original source drive (X) where I kept the tempdb had reached the max drive space about 60GB. For some reason stopping SQL and re-starting did not release the space used by tempdb. When I moved to the new drive (Y:), it was trying to create a 60 GB Tempdb in to the new drive (Y:).

I had expanded the destination drive to (Y:) 60+ GB. Re-started SQL. Now, my tempdb in my new drive (Y:).

Then went to SSMS and changed the initial size of TempDB.mdf to 10 MB.

Deleted the 60GB file from the original drive (X:).

Altered the database using "ALTER DATABASE tempDB MODIFY FILE" to use X: drive.

Stopped SQL.

Started the SQL. Everything worked fine. Hope this helps!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:07 PM