none
Need Advise to host FTP server on Windows Azure

Question

• Hello, 

we are planning to move our FTP server from Hosted VM to Azure Blob Storage. so we can give direct link to user who are doing download.  is this advisable to use Azure blobl storage as FTP services. 

if no please advise what is advisable. 

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Robin, 

i mean to say we would like to use Azure blob directly as FTP link. meaning is that can i use Azure blob storage as a container of my Binaries and use directly that container as FTP link instead of creating new VM.  i dont want to create new VM i would like to use Azure blob storage as FTP link. 

Thank you, 

Amar 

• Marked as answer by Amar Soni Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Amar,

I'm not sure what you mean by "move our FTP server from Hosted VM to Azure Blob Storage". Azure Blob Storage is just storage, and won't run a server. Do you mean that you are moving your FTP Server to an Azure VM? What exactly are you trying to do?

Robin

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Hello Robin, 

i mean to say we would like to use Azure blob directly as FTP link. meaning is that can i use Azure blob storage as a container of my Binaries and use directly that container as FTP link instead of creating new VM.  i dont want to create new VM i would like to use Azure blob storage as FTP link. 

Thank you, 

Amar 

• Marked as answer by Amar Soni Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi Amar

Azure blob storage  can't be accessed if none permission. So you should build the VM in Azure.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:59 PM
  • You cannot FTP files to and from Blob Storage. You can only use HTTP or HTTPs.

If you want to set up an FTP server, you can do create a VM and then set up an FTP server on it, but it's not going to help you get your files into blob storage.

If you want some ideas how to accomplish what you're trying to do, feel free to post back with some business case information, and we'll see if we can help.

Robin

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:10 AM