Workflow Instance ID RRS feed

• General discussion

• Wouldn't be better to use UniqueId instead of Guid as instance identifier?
    This would be more compatible with WCF and some other platforms, which as ID uses simple strings.
    Today it might be not an big issue, but in iterop scenarios in he future migt be more important.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:55 PM

All replies

• UniqueId was considered, but at some point the call was made to stick with Guid.  As support for correlation is expanded the use of Guid as the primary workflow identifier should become less of a concern when interacting with other systems.

Can you think of any specific scenarios where you have concerns?  We'd like to make sure we keep them in mind when designing/developing.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:58 PM
  • That is good question Nate.

Honestly, I’m sure it is NOT a fatal mistake to make it Guid.
    However I have been thinking on impact of the fact that WF is declarative now.
    That will give ability to many other none .net vendors to make usage of it even on different platforms.
    In this case it could be more natural to use in the future more common UniqueId than Guid.
    A good example of this is MessageId in WCF.
    I have been implementing lot of different interop solutions based on WCF extensibility model. Today, I even do not think anymore what to choose as ID. I just take UniquieId.

Damir

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:13 PM