none
Trapping client events in Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been looking into the possibility of developing addins for Office 2016 but had a question to clear up some doubts.

Traditionally with COM/VSTO addins you could trap events like MailItem_Send, explorer selection change etc to build additional functionality on top of what the Outlook client provided.

Is there any ability to trap events under Office 2016 using the Office Addins model?

I have trolled through documentation but all I can see is content apps for Office which do not appear to be able to handle any client events as we used to with the older object models.

Thank you for any response and looking forward to a discussion on this topic.

Neil Goundar
    Microsoft Outlook addins and Windows Phone App Development
    www.eixipapps.com

• Edited by eixipApps Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:01 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:44 AM

Answers

• Yep, COM addins are here to stay. MS is pretty good about backwards compatibility and they give ample warning when an API is about to become obsolete - last time that happened (Exchange Client Extensions - ECE) people had a few years to prepare for the switch and product management was very good at listening about all the various scenarios that people had to support before COM addins could replace ECEs.

Office addins (JavaScript/HTML based) are not anywhere near parity with COM addins, so nobody is talking about COM addins becoming obsolete...

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:25 AM
  • Hello Neil,

> Is there any ability to trap events under Office 2016 using the Office Addins model?

There is nothing has changed so far. You may continue using the same code for the Send event handler in Office 2016.

The fact is that the documentation is not ready for Office 2016. Note, the 2016 suite is not event released.

Office Apps can't replace COM add-ins nowadays because they don't provide event handlers required for developers and don't allow to develop, for example, complex CRM systems on top of Office applications (Outlook).

A MS PMs confirmed some time ago that COM add-ins will not go away in the upcoming Office version (2016). COM add-ins work like charm in Office 2016, just try to run your code :)

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:35 AM

All replies

• No, At the moment all you get if the context of the currently viewed or composed message/contact/appointment/task.

Note that COM addins are not going anywhere and are still fully supported.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:20 AM
  • You just made my day Dmitry, by confirming that COM addins are not going away anywhere :)

I just couldn't see it anywhere in the documentation stating this - maybe I was overlooking it.

I had spent the last few months developing a COM addin and was thinking maybe I have wasted a bit of time but thankfully I haven't :)

Looking forward to working with your products once again, in the near future as well.

Cheers, Neil.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:57 AM
  • Yep, COM addins are here to stay. MS is pretty good about backwards compatibility and they give ample warning when an API is about to become obsolete - last time that happened (Exchange Client Extensions - ECE) people had a few years to prepare for the switch and product management was very good at listening about all the various scenarios that people had to support before COM addins could replace ECEs.

Office addins (JavaScript/HTML based) are not anywhere near parity with COM addins, so nobody is talking about COM addins becoming obsolete...

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:25 AM
  • Hello Neil,

> Is there any ability to trap events under Office 2016 using the Office Addins model?

There is nothing has changed so far. You may continue using the same code for the Send event handler in Office 2016.

The fact is that the documentation is not ready for Office 2016. Note, the 2016 suite is not event released.

Office Apps can't replace COM add-ins nowadays because they don't provide event handlers required for developers and don't allow to develop, for example, complex CRM systems on top of Office applications (Outlook).

A MS PMs confirmed some time ago that COM add-ins will not go away in the upcoming Office version (2016). COM add-ins work like charm in Office 2016, just try to run your code :)

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:35 AM