convert void* to UIntPtr(windows runtime type)

Question

• Hi,

I am developing a WinRT c++ component.

I have  a buffer of type void* and i want get this buffer to a C# metro app.

so i want to change the this void* buffer to windows runtime  type UIntPtr.

how to do this...any sample code really helps.

thanks,

Bhash

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:29 PM

Answers

• *reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);

The documentation says UIntPtr is a ValueType, so I have to assume that this will work. I can't make any promises though. Even if it works now, the documentation doesn't says anything about it, so it may not in the future.

It's a good think they aren't checking wait chains to prevent blocking the UI thread for an asynchronous task.

• Proposed as answer by brentAtBrainium Monday, April 23, 2012 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 7, 2012 2:34 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:38 PM

All replies

• *reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);

The documentation says UIntPtr is a ValueType, so I have to assume that this will work. I can't make any promises though. Even if it works now, the documentation doesn't says anything about it, so it may not in the future.

It's a good think they aren't checking wait chains to prevent blocking the UI thread for an asynchronous task.

• Proposed as answer by brentAtBrainium Monday, April 23, 2012 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 7, 2012 2:34 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:38 PM
  • I have tried this code snippet and it does not work.. I am also looking for a way to include a void* pointer within the WinRT component so that I can use it from my C# Metro App. For the first line "*reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);" , it says "Error: Expected an identifier"

For Line 2 " void* d;" I'm getting Error: signature of member contains native type 'void *'

What error am i making?

Thanks!

public value struct t {
    	*reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);  // Does this work?
    	void* d; // Does this work?
    	uint32 f;
    };

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:39 PM
  • That's just a cast. You can't have a cast by itself, you have to assign it to something:

Platform::UIntPtr result = *reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);

or, of course, return it from a method:

return *reinterpret_cast<Platform::UIntPtr*>(&myVoidPtr);

Standard C++ stuff, really.

Software Engineer, Brainium Studios LLC

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:43 PM