Problem upgrading solution (VS2010 -> VS2013) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

My LightSwitch solution was developed in VS2010.  I am trying to upgrade it a VS2013 solution but VS2013 complains that "The Selected project was created by an older version of this application and cannot be opened."

Please don't tell me I need to install VS2012 first, upgrade it there, then move on to VS2013?

Best regards,

CT

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Angie,

I had to unmark your answer there. 

The path I took was to upgrade my LightSwitch V1 app to VS2012 first and iron out all the bugs first. After that, VS2013 was able to upgrade the app.

Best regards,

CT 

• Marked as answer by cte00 Monday, December 9, 2013 6:35 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 6:35 PM

All replies

• HI,

Projects that were created in an earlier version of LightSwitch use a different file structure, and you must upgrade them before you can open them in the current version of LightSwitch. After you upgrade them, you can no longer open them in the earlier version. You can open most projects after the upgrade without modifying them further. In some cases, you might need to make minor modifications after you upgrade. These exceptions will be noted in a conversion report.

For further information: # Upgrading Projects Created in Earlier Versions of LightSwitch

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh674025.aspx

hope it helps,

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, November 25, 2013 1:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cte00 Monday, December 9, 2013 6:31 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply.  

I am trying to upgrade my LightSwitch solution from VS2010 to VS2013.  I am prepared to make the modifications and not move back to VS2010 if all works out.  However, I am getting the error "The selected project was created by an older version of this application and cannot be opened." when I try the conversion in VS2013.

Do I need to use VS2012 to convert my application and make sure it runs on it first?

Best regards,

CT

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:54 AM
  • Hi cte

As our msdn document shows, I don't think you need to use VS2012 to convert your application first. But many things should be taken into consideration before your upgrading, such as any extensions that the project references, whether these entension are also compatible with VS 2013, etc.

hope it helps,

Regards 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:41 AM
  • I too am running into the exact same issue, coming from 2010 to 2013. To be frank with you the message is next to useless. Some indication of what the actual error is would be handy, even if it were in a log file or the event viewer, but to give us nothing... 

Could someone from the Lightswitch team let us know how to diagnose?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hi Angie,

I had to unmark your answer there. 

The path I took was to upgrade my LightSwitch V1 app to VS2012 first and iron out all the bugs first. After that, VS2013 was able to upgrade the app.

Best regards,

CT 

• Marked as answer by cte00 Monday, December 9, 2013 6:35 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Thanks for kind feedback.

This thread shows the upgrade procedure:

Upgrading Existing Lightswitch Projects to Visual Studio 2013 RC

Best regards

Angie

• Edited by Angie Xu Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:38 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:53 AM