Proper Way to Stop and Start SQL Server Services? RRS feed

• Question

• I was in a course last year where the instructor said that the only proper way to stop and start the various SQL Server services was via the SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Is there any truth to this because I haven't found anything on-line that supports this instructor's statement.

Thanks,

Blaine

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:44 PM

Answers

• Blaine,

Best practice is to use SQL Server Configuration Manager when changing passwords or service accounts, adding trace flags, or in general manipulating the services or configuration.

Having said that, if you needed to script the start and stop of the services I haven't seen anything that says you can't do it that way or that it would hurt it. I also haven't seen any information that says using the net commands does anything of the sort either.

-Sean

• Proposed as answer by RamJaddu Friday, July 22, 2011 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, July 25, 2011 9:19 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Blaine,

Best practice is to use SQL Server Configuration Manager when changing passwords or service accounts, adding trace flags, or in general manipulating the services or configuration.

Having said that, if you needed to script the start and stop of the services I haven't seen anything that says you can't do it that way or that it would hurt it. I also haven't seen any information that says using the net commands does anything of the sort either.

-Sean

• Proposed as answer by RamJaddu Friday, July 22, 2011 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, July 25, 2011 9:19 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Sean,

Thank you.  Your response confirms my research.

Blaine

Friday, July 22, 2011 3:30 PM