none
Outlook 2016 Credentials in Credentials Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm writing a client application to access my mailbox using the Redemption/MAPI library. I used to be able to start a session by doing the following:

1.) Create a credentials MS.Outlook.15:{user's email} in windows credentials manager

2.) Create a profile

3.) Open a session using this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/cc842103.aspx

However, once i enable "EnableADAL" flag in the registry. I'm unable to open a session successfully.

What I notice is that Outlook creates a credential named: MicrosoftOiffce16_Data:ADALWAM:{unique identifier of the user authenticated during ADAL token acquisition}

With that credential, i'm able to open a session successfully.

May I know what is stored in this credential? I've tried the refresh token and access token but they don't seem to be correct.

Friday, November 17, 2017 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

After some research, the following links and information might be helpful:

Updated Office 365 modern authentication

How modern authentication works for Office 2013 and Office 2016 client apps

Office 2016 clients support modern authentication by default, and no action is needed for the client to use these new flows. However, explicit action is needed to use legacy authentication.

Office client app version

Registry key present?

Modern authentication on?

Authentication behavior with modern authentication turned on for the tenant (default)

Authentication behavior with modern authentication turned off for the tenant

Office 2016

No, or EnableADAL = 1

Yes

Modern authentication is attempted first. If the server refuses a modern authentication connection, then basic authentication is used. Server refuses modern authentication when the tenant is not enabled.

Modern authentication is attempted first. If the server refuses a modern authentication connection, then basic authentication is used. Server refuses modern authentication when the tenant is not enabled.

Office 2016

Yes, EnableADAL = 1

Yes

Office 2016

Yes, EnableADAL=0

No

Basic authentication

Basic authentication

Regards

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:05 AM