none
Expressions won't save changed pages or create a new page from any of my templates RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 major problems:

1.  It's very difficult to get revised pages to save new changes.  I make a change in my template, click save all pages, then ftp upload it, and nothing changes unless I close Expressions, reopen it, open the template, and then save all pages again. Even then I may need to accomplish this task 2-3 times before it works. Any ideas what's going on?

2.  I can't make a new page from a template. When I attempt to the page just buffers and never creates until I click to close the program. Then a window pops up and asks me if I'm sure I want to save changes to the page.  I click yes then name it and all is well.  So I don't actually close the program.

I'm not new to HTML or Expressions.  I know little about .css though. These problems started up about a week back.  Today I uninstalled Expressions, downloaded a new trial copy, and installed it after cleaning out my registry files.  I found 1 corrupted Expressions file and removed it. Then reloaded it twice with no changes. I've used it for a couple of years with little problem. Now I can't correct this. Any ideas

My website is http://stanfordtc.com (completely under redevelopment) Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is taking a LOT of time to work around.
    Regards,
    Maverick

Sunday, May 11, 2014 10:23 PM

All replies

• When something involves corrupted files and a sudden change in performance, including difficulty writing to your hard drive, it may be a computer problem, not an EW problem.  (Failing hard drive?  Failing memory?  Virus or trojan?  Etc.)
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 11:07 PM
  • First, there is no Web design product named "Expressions." There is Expression Web, commonly abbreviated "EW." Please use the correct terminology.

Your first paragraph makes no sense whatsoever. You say that you make changes to your master page, update attached pages, then publish with FTP, but the online site doesn't change. Yet the remediation you describe following that is done solely at the local level, when the problem is either at the server or with your site management (not publishing pages to the correct location). But then you mention repeating your local actions several times, and then "it works." What works? Does the updated content appear on the remote site? Have you been republishing after each iteration, or what (you don't say so)?

As for your second issue, I agree with Kathy. That is not normal operation of the program, and it sounds as if you are experiencing either hardware issues or problems with your operating system. It is certainly not something associated with the normal operation of EW, and is therefore out of scope for discussion here, as we are not tech support, but simply a user group.

As for "knowing little of CSS," I find it surprising that you seem to feel facile with EW, since EW requires knowledge of both HTML and CSS to use effectively.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, May 12, 2014 3:41 AM
  • I can't hold my tongue.  I am a programmer that utilizes many forums for community insight.  I have been constantly amazed at the brash and non-explanatory answers and quips people get when trying to get help with issues they have with programming from supposed experts that monitor these sites.  Scott, you are the newest member of this club. The condescending response you provided  Maverick above is not helpful to anyone except I am assuming yourself.  It provides no support in what this particular person is asking and should, in my mind, be withheld.  "Teachers" help by providing guidance and knowledge.  By monitoring these type forums or blogs you are positioning yourself as the expert or, as I would put it, a "teacher" to assist.  Keep your commentary to yourself and help these people.  Your time will be better spent and I am sure better received.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:15 PM
  • You are replying to a thread from 2014, where the original poster has never returned.  That breaks a basic forum practice: don't dredge up old threads.  Please check the dates first.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:44 PM