none
Dreamspark Premium and OS licence restrictions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm wondering if the clause below means that I, as a student of a Dreamspark Premium subscriber institution, can only install an downloaded OS as a upgrade or in a virtual machine on Windows? I am using a Mac with OSX, hence my question.

"DreamSpark Premium Subscription software includes certain Windows operating system products. You may not install any such product on any computer that does not already have a Windows operating system installed on it unless those computers are owned by or leased to you and will at all times remain physically located in labs operated by departments that have purchased the DreamSpark Premium Subscription."
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hey Mattinmunich,

Interesting.  As a student, I don't think the agreement that you found covers you, I think it covers the relationship your institution has with Microsoft.  I'll need to confirm this, but if I'm right, what this would limit is your institution from using DreamSpark software (i.e. free) to install Windows where it would not be used in a strictly student environment.  Microsoft would want your professor's personal computer, for example, covered under a full license, not supplied for free through DreamSpark.  

If you're a student you still can only upgrade your version of Winodws, you cannot install it on a machine that didn't come with Windows.

Edit:  unfortunately, I'm sorry, but I had the wrong information previously.  You can only use Windows to upgrade, so you  probably wont be able to use it on your Mac unless you have another copy of Windows available.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:05 PM