none
SP2013 vs Word DIP: Choice column shows row number rather than choice column row data RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,
    Within the Document Information Panel (DIP), there are columns I wish the workflow to assign and columns I wish the user to populate. Ex; client name (user select), and the company (workflow selected based on client name). 

Within the web form, I can make the company selection read only by using a custom form and change ‘edit’ to ‘display’ for the choice column.

Within the word DIP, I hide the company column (by hiding the column in the content type) so the user cannot select anything. However, within the document, where the document property (column) is used, a number is there and not the column data. Note – the number represents the row of the ‘choice’ column where the company name is.

So how can I make the column usable within the document and not let the user be able to change it? My present implementation appears logical, but I get a resulting row number and not the row data.

Kind regards,

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Mackante,

From your description, my understanding is that you want to make the column usable within the document (quick parts) and not let the user to change it.

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2013 and choice column shows row data rather than row number  in quick parts and document information panel.

To make the quick parts read only, these properties are content controls, we could lock a content control by selecting Contents cannot be edited on Properties window. To open Properties window, please go to Developer tab and click Properties button.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:43 AM
  • Lisa,

Not exactly. My issue is that when I use the quick parts in a document template, and the particular quick part is a choice column, when the document template is opened the choice columns show the row number for the default choice data. Even after editing the choice selection in the DIP, the document shows a different row number. 

Kind regards,

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:07 PM