How to Configure BiztTalk MQ Series Send port with Primary Queue and Secondary Queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

The MQ team has given me two queues one Primary Queue and  second Secondary queue for configuring send port.

I am not sure how to configure it. I configured send port to primary Queue but I am not seeing any option to configure secondary queue.

They are referring it as Multi instance of same Queue Manager.

Any Help.

Thank you. 

• Edited by Anshu Kumar Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:29 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:53 AM

Answers

• A Receive Port can be associated with multiple receive locations. The only restriction is that each receive location have a unique URI. So you can configure a Receive Port with TWO RECEIVE LOCATIONS. One receive location will point to Server A Queue Manager A Queue A and the other receive location will point to Server B Queue Manager B Queue B. This way a MQ message dropped at either queue will be picked up for processing. The primary queue should correspond with the default/primary receive location.

MQ to my knowledge has multiple deployment patterns which permit the same Queue to be available across multiple servers (as a redundancy scenario opposed to clustering). In this scenario there is likely to be a conflict as in reality there is only ONE message on the MQ. If this is the case you'd need to keep the secondary Receive Location disabled and in case of failure event recorded over the primary receive locations the secondary should be enabled.

IMHO you should work with the MQ team and understand the purpose and then configure accordingly.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:33 AM

All replies

• Configure the secondary queue on the send port as alternate transport.

Regards.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

I didn't get you completely. Are you talking about Backup transport option on send port or something else.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Backup Transport option on the send port. So what the MQ Team has given you is a MQ Manager on a server A with Queue A as the primary transport and in case that fails to use the MQ Manager on Server A/B with Queue B as the backup option. So while both your transports are MQ, the queues are different.

Regards.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

When you configure a messaging port, you can select a primary transport and/or a backup transport .

When BizTalk Server processes a document through a messaging port, it first uses the primary transport to deliver the document. If for any reason this delivery mechanism fails, the document is sent to the Retry queue. Then, BizTalk Server tries to deliver the document again according to the configuration of the channel. After BizTalk Server exhausts all of these attempts, it uses the configured backup transport to deliver the document.

To configure Backup transport send port refer msdn link below

How to Configure Backup Transport Options for a Send Port

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Hi Shanky and Abhishek,

Thank you for prompt answer. So the conclusion is that BackUp Transport Option is the only way to configure Secondary Queue on Send Port.

But what about Receive Port. I think there is no option like back up transport on Receive port or Receive location. Can you help me regarding this.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:22 AM
  • But what about Receive Port. I think there is no option like back up transport on Receive port or Receive location. Can you help me regarding this.

Hi Anshu,

The backup transport is not available for Receive Port/Location, and Backup Transport is nothing but rather as a "second attempt" if the first location is unavailable. For instance, if you try to send to the primary location and that is unavailable at the moment, the backup location will be tried instead. If that also fails, the message will be suspended in BizTalk. 

So for Receive Port/Location either you can create Configure Scheduling for a Receive Location or create multiple Receive Locations.

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:53 AM
  • A Receive Port can be associated with multiple receive locations. The only restriction is that each receive location have a unique URI. So you can configure a Receive Port with TWO RECEIVE LOCATIONS. One receive location will point to Server A Queue Manager A Queue A and the other receive location will point to Server B Queue Manager B Queue B. This way a MQ message dropped at either queue will be picked up for processing. The primary queue should correspond with the default/primary receive location.

MQ to my knowledge has multiple deployment patterns which permit the same Queue to be available across multiple servers (as a redundancy scenario opposed to clustering). In this scenario there is likely to be a conflict as in reality there is only ONE message on the MQ. If this is the case you'd need to keep the secondary Receive Location disabled and in case of failure event recorded over the primary receive locations the secondary should be enabled.

IMHO you should work with the MQ team and understand the purpose and then configure accordingly.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:33 AM