locked
[Access web app] A form currently seems read only, how could I solve this? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me

    In the Access Web App I'm making, I currently have 6 tables, of which 3 are accessible on the web app.
    Since this morning, the action bar button to add a record is greyed out. I can press the edit button, make changes and save those, so I don't think the table itself has become read only.

    Any other forms where the records of this table are used in (lookup fields) can still access the current records but even though I can select the "<add a new item>", the pop-up only shows the title. No fields to insert a value or anything are shown.

    This table is pretty important for this application, so I'd love it if anyone here would know how to fix this.

    Side note: I did not delete any of the default forms that were made for this, but I did make some small adjustments to it. This issue is in the default List form, but not in the table form.

    [EDIT:] I tried manually adding a button to the quick menu, with a newRecord macro, but when I click the button it gives me an error: "This command or action is currently unavailable".
    I am sure I am logged into a user that has full control over this app & it's webpage.


    Monday, July 22, 2013 12:39 PM

Answers

  • Hey Mathias,

    I think I've stumbled across the problem of 'action bars becoming greyed out or read only'.

    I was trying a 'bad' relationship between tables.  It allows me to create the bad relationship and then launch a 'read only' web app.

    If I go back in and remove the table from the SQL server query builder and delete any controls from the form, it will then become editable again.

    It's all about getting good relationships!!

    Below is a screen shot from where it can all go badly wrong.  One way will be correct, the other way incredibly wrong.

    Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

    Graham

    • Proposed as answer by geeves1293 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mathias D'hoore Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

  • Have you tried a Compact & Repair?

    Chris Ward

    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:08 PM
  • As it is an office web app, that is impossible for me to do.

    In the meantime, I "fixed" the problem by just deleting the table, and creating a new one with the same data and fields.

    After this week and a half of actively working with Ms Access 2013 web apps, It's really obvious how much this is still a "work in progress". Biggest example: queries aren't even written in SQL, which really limits my possibilities. Next to this, there is no report functionality in the app itself, and when printing from a browser, it looks damn ugly.

    • Proposed as answer by geeves1293 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by geeves1293 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:27 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hello

    I have the same problem.

    Did you ever find out why this happens?

    How on earth did you manage to make a new table and keep all the data and structure?

    Many Thanks

    Graham

    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Hey Graham!

    In the meantime, this project has been finished.

    I never found out why or how this happened, but as I said, I just created a completely new table and made everything there.

    About the data and structure: as I was still in the planning phase, I didn't have any actual data in it yet, so I deleted it and rebuilt it from scratch.

    I try to keep everything as simple as possible in the settings, so the recreating only took me about 30 minutes. It helped me a lot that there wasn't any actual data in there yet.

    Later in the progress of this project, when it went into deployment, I also had to experiment to try and find how to to import the data into an existing Access Web App, but the only ways that would have worked was either by manually inputting all the data into the web app or by transferring the data from (local?) database to the Microsoft Azure Cloud SQL database through read/write permissions.

    I hope my reply could answer your questions!

    Mathias

    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hey Mathias

    Thanks for your prompt response.

    I'm at the designing project stage too and only have test data.  If I can't find what broke it, then I'll struggle to trust it in the future especially when its seems difficult to import or export.

    Thanks

    Graham

    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:13 PM
  • Hey Mathias,

    I think I've stumbled across the problem of 'action bars becoming greyed out or read only'.

    I was trying a 'bad' relationship between tables.  It allows me to create the bad relationship and then launch a 'read only' web app.

    If I go back in and remove the table from the SQL server query builder and delete any controls from the form, it will then become editable again.

    It's all about getting good relationships!!

    Below is a screen shot from where it can all go badly wrong.  One way will be correct, the other way incredibly wrong.

    Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

    Graham

    • Proposed as answer by geeves1293 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mathias D'hoore Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:35 PM