Custom Data Extensions issues when Migrating SSRS 2005 to 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    here is yet another show stopper for me , I'm migrating CDE of SSRS 2005 to 2008 , in this process i've referenced new DLL's and recompiled the CDE DLL , it is working fine on my VS 2008 BIDS with out any problem. When the same report is run on the SSRS server I'm getting the following error:

"ERROR: Data source 'Custom_Data_Extension__Data_Merge_': An error has occurred. Details: Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Cannot create a connection to data source 'Custom_Data_Extension__Data_Merge_'. ---> Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleException: Connection request timed out"

It is unable to open oracle connection for meta data required for CDE , I thought it was Oracle Client which is causing the problem,  but Oracle connection is working fine when I tested it with a separate report which consumes same Oracle client but with a shared data source (not CDE).

Any ideas what I'm missing in this , any help is appreciated.

thanks
    Dharmen
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Dharmen,

From the error message, the issue is caseud by time out.

By default, the ConnectionTimeOut for OracleConnection is 15 seconds.

So, could you please increase the value of "time out" in the code to check if the issue is solved?

//Set the time out to be 60. Or another large value such as 300.
    OracleConnection.ConnectionTimeOut = 60;

For more information, please see:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/B10961_01/client4.htm#999708

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:39 AM