none
Menu Override issue in Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• In our workbook (office 2010) we added two buttons (START, STOP). When START button is clicked, we customize and override the right click menu (Eg: Delete cell, Insert cell) which is already present in the default excel sheet. Similarly if STOP button is clicked, we are resetting right click menu into default Excel menus and then close the workbook.

We open normal excel workbook (without two buttons) , We are trying to Delete and Insert cell options are working fine in office 2010 workbook.

We tried the same in office 2013 and found that behavior is different from that of office 2010. In office 2013, we are trying to Delete/Insert a cell as a normal excel and is asking to start a macro. So we debugged and found that .xlb file which is created in the following path (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ Excel15.xlb) is causing the problem. This .xlb file holds menus and toolbar our customization code for excel. We start a excel again, either by deleting this .xlb file or renaming the .xlb to some other name and found that a new default Excel15.xlb is built in above mentioned path. Now it behaves like a normal excel and the popup menus are working fine. 

I would like know why office 2013 behaves different from office 2010.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Murali,

I failed to reproduce your issue by following article Customizing Context Menus in All Versions of Microsoft Excel with the default Excel15.xlb.

According to your description, I suspect it is caused by the custom toolbar file (Excel15.xlb) being damaged (For more details, see KB291074).

If the Microsoft Excel toolbar file becomes damaged, or is deleted or moved from its original location, you may see the following behavior:

• Toolbars and toolbar buttons that you created no longer appear.
    • Changes that you made to toolbars and toolbar buttons no longer appear.
    • The default toolbars and toolbar buttons appear.

Please correct me if I have any misunderstanding on your question.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 25, 2014 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Murali,

As you mentioned, .xlb file is used to store menus and toolbars for Excel.

Did you follow this article to customize and override the context menu in Excel?

Customizing Context Menus in All Versions of Microsoft Excel

Would you mind sharing a simple sample for us to reproduce this issue?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hi Murali,

I failed to reproduce your issue by following article Customizing Context Menus in All Versions of Microsoft Excel with the default Excel15.xlb.

According to your description, I suspect it is caused by the custom toolbar file (Excel15.xlb) being damaged (For more details, see KB291074).

If the Microsoft Excel toolbar file becomes damaged, or is deleted or moved from its original location, you may see the following behavior:

• Toolbars and toolbar buttons that you created no longer appear.
    • Changes that you made to toolbars and toolbar buttons no longer appear.
    • The default toolbars and toolbar buttons appear.

Please correct me if I have any misunderstanding on your question.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Monday, August 25, 2014 3:16 AM