Difference between ms odbc 11 sql server driver and sqlsvr32.dll? disadvantage and advantages? RRS feed

• Question

• Difference between ms odbc  11 sql server driver and sqlsvr32.dll? any disadvantage and advantage 

between them?

• Edited by nitraw26 Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:19 AM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:15 AM

All replies

• sqlsrv32.dll is 15 years old and exists only for legacy reasons. You should preferrably use ODC 13.1 SQL Server driver which is the latest version.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:21 AM
  • Any disadvantage of ODBC 13 over SqlSVR32.dll?
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:27 AM
  • I made some changes in my application like OFF TLS 1.0 and replace SqlSvr32.dll driver with ODBC 11 but i am facing some issues like some errors of stored procedure is suppressed with SqlSvr32 but application throw same error with odbc 11.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:30 AM
  • Hi nitraw26,

The ODBC driver DLL "SqlSvr32.dll" belongs to MDAC(Microsoft Data Access Components), it is too old to support recent operation system. If you want to know more information about MDAC, you may read these articles for better understanding.

Using the SQL Server Native Client Header and Library Files( the content is under heading "Component Names and Properties by Version")

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) Installation( the content is under heading "Introduction")

In your reply, you said that you had got error messages from your application. Could you please share us your error messages, so that we could know which situation you have come across. I guess the problem is caused by version incompatibility. For more information, you may refer to these articles.

Reference: Microsoft ODBC Driver for SQL Server on Windows

System Requirements, Installation, and Driver Files

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:29 AM