none
VB2019 Is Misbehaving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

For a while now I have had problems with VB2019 doing weird things. It is very difficult to highlight

code in the text editor. I often have to try multiple times before it highlights. Also, when I use the

forms designer, a left click on a control usually creates an event handler that I don't want. Sometimes

the code just ends up moving to a different place on the screen.

I have the latest version of 2019 that I installed late last week but I still have problems. I have tried

different mice and mouse settings, thinking that that might be the problem. My PC is only about 2.5 

years old. It is an Intel Core I7 7th generation running Win 10.

My productivity is greatly impaired by these issues. Please advise.

Sunday, April 5, 2020 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Typically when any version of Visual Studio has issues similar to this the reasons might be

• A Visual Studio extension (third-party VSPackages) is misbehaving
    • A service such as a virus program scanning in interfering with Visual Studio.

If a extension is the problem you can disable all of them and or start Visual Studio in safemode. For services like virus scanners, look at options to ignore a) Visual Studio b) exclude the folder(s) where you Visual Studio projects are installed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, April 6, 2020 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Developer Dude,

I'd like to confirm:

1) What do you mean by "highlight code in the text editor".
       Could you explain it more detail?

2) You wrote:
    Also, when I use the forms designer, a left click on a control usually creates an event handler that I don't want. Sometimes the code just ends up moving to a different place on the screen.

Which is your issue?  creating an event you don't want, or where the code is placed? 

Regards,

P.S.
    If you want to select an event you like, please show Events in the Form Desiginer.

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Edited by Ashidacchi Monday, April 6, 2020 1:16 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 1:04 AM
  • Win 10 is a resource hog. What kind of memory does the computer have and can you increase memory by buying some more memory? Memory could be the problem as things can't breath on the computer as they are running.

I increased memory on my pc computer running Win10, becuase my laptop running Win 10 too was out performing the pc. I increased memory on the pc and that got performance better, and I am glad I did because VS2019 is another resource hog too hosted by the resource hog O/S. 

BTW, my laptop has good performance with  Win10 and VS2019.

• Edited by DA924x Monday, April 6, 2020 1:32 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 1:24 AM
  • Hello,

Typically when any version of Visual Studio has issues similar to this the reasons might be

• A Visual Studio extension (third-party VSPackages) is misbehaving
    • A service such as a virus program scanning in interfering with Visual Studio.

If a extension is the problem you can disable all of them and or start Visual Studio in safemode. For services like virus scanners, look at options to ignore a) Visual Studio b) exclude the folder(s) where you Visual Studio projects are installed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

StackOverFlow

Monday, April 6, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Hi:

When I highlight a block of code in the text editor to do a copy, cut etc. it is very

difficult to get the desired code highlighted.

The problem with the left click in the forms designer creating an event is that I

am left-clicking for purposes of modifying a control. I don't want an event created.

Developer Dude

Monday, April 6, 2020 11:50 AM
  • Hi:

When I highlight a block of code in the text editor to do a copy, cut etc. it is very

difficult to get the desired code highlighted.

The problem with the left click in the forms designer creating an event is that I

am left-clicking for purposes of modifying a control. I don't want an event created.

Developer Dude

This is because as I said in my first reply something is interfering with the highlighting and the creation of an event.

StackOverFlow

Monday, April 6, 2020 11:59 AM
  • I've the same, it becomes so overdone with automatic functions, that normal editing becomes sometimes a cruel. 

You mistype a character and then your complete phrase is changed by another and the only thing you can do is trying to type it complete new again. (ctrl Z gives then even stranger results).

Success
    Cor

Monday, April 6, 2020 12:04 PM
  • If VS 2019 is vianilla you don't have any plugins that can make it do weird thing,then your computer doesn't have the power to run VS2019. VS2019 does werid things on my PC, because it just doesn't have the power. I use VS anyway knowing that if I mess up a keystroke, VS2019 will go to left field and I have to wait for VS to comeback from whatever it is doing.

I don't have any problems with VS2019 on my laptop that has the power to run VS2019.

Monday, April 6, 2020 1:03 PM