locked
Problem when attempting to export a report from an Issues Web Database RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created an Issues Web Database site in my site collection.  I've entered some data to test the site and when I go to the Report Center tab, select any report, select the Actions menu>Export>Excel, I get the following prompt:

    "Do you want to open or save IssuesByAssignedTo.xls from connect.ufl.edu?"

    Clicking the Open button lauches Excel and then I get this prompt:

    "The file you are trying to open, 'IssuesByAssignedTo.xls ', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?"

    I select yes and Excel opens with a blank page.  This is the same result if I export to Word.  PDF works.  Any suggestions?


    Matt H.

    Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:18 PM

Answers

  • Hi Matt,

    Does your application pool have a user account?  You should added authenticated Users to the temp directory with full permissions.

    Here is a similar case, you can refer to it.

    Thanks,

    Jack

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010setup/thread/0f44033a-df31-4a79-aa2a-5e45e553e98e
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thanks, Tom.  This got me to the answer with the help of our Farm admin.  Here's what he did:

    Every server restart, and then AppPool spin up, creates a new temporary user profile
    (as it’s not a real user account in use). So Victor will have found the next
    time his system went through a restart, he would have to change the permissions
    on a new temp folder in a new temp user profile. I’ve set the default TEMP path
    for the servers to a permanent, consistent path. Primary location to change is
    in the default user profile (c:\users\default\ntuser.dat); you load that have
    into regedit and actually remove the default TEMP environment variable – that
    way, the easier to set default server TEMP environment variable (advanced props
    on the Computer) will be the active TEMP var for all user
    profiles/accounts. 


    Matt H.

    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:05 PM

All replies

  • Hi Matt,

    Does your application pool have a user account?  You should added authenticated Users to the temp directory with full permissions.

    Here is a similar case, you can refer to it.

    Thanks,

    Jack

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010setup/thread/0f44033a-df31-4a79-aa2a-5e45e553e98e
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thanks, Tom.  This got me to the answer with the help of our Farm admin.  Here's what he did:

    Every server restart, and then AppPool spin up, creates a new temporary user profile
    (as it’s not a real user account in use). So Victor will have found the next
    time his system went through a restart, he would have to change the permissions
    on a new temp folder in a new temp user profile. I’ve set the default TEMP path
    for the servers to a permanent, consistent path. Primary location to change is
    in the default user profile (c:\users\default\ntuser.dat); you load that have
    into regedit and actually remove the default TEMP environment variable – that
    way, the easier to set default server TEMP environment variable (advanced props
    on the Computer) will be the active TEMP var for all user
    profiles/accounts. 


    Matt H.

    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:05 PM