none
Azure File Store - Map NetDrive Access Denied on Win7

Question

• Hi,

I've setup Azure File Storage and try to map the fileshare as a network drive on a Windows 7 (SP1 x64) client.

I get access denied when trying to map the network drive both via NET USE and via the GUI.

net.exe : System error 5 has occurred.
    At line:10 char:4
    + NET <<<<  USE Q: \\$StorageAccount.file.core.windows.net\$Fileshare /user:\$StorageAccount $AccessKey1
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (System error 5 has occurred.:String) [], RemoteException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

Access is denied.

However, this works fine from Windows10. Both Win10 and Win7 are on the same network and I've tried disableing the Windows firewall completely on the Win7, but nothing helps. Therefor I reasoned that maybe it was the SMB version that was the culprit, but from what I've read Azure File Storage was originally made for SMB 2.1 but now support SMB3 also, and Windows 7 use SMB 2.1 so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know why this would work with Win10 but not Win7?

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:22 PM

Answers

• You are right, Azure file storage supports SMB 2.1 and 3.0, however AFAIK SMB 2.1 is only supported for requests originating from Azure i.e. If your windows 7 VM would have been provisioned in Azure then you could have mounted azure file share successfully. 

For requests from other than Azure environment, only SMB 3.0 is supported. Try mapping network drive with OS windows 8 or above which has SMB 3.0 support and you should be able to map the Azure file share as network drive.

Also make sure if outbound traffic on port 445 is open on your machine.

Bhushan | Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:22 PM

All replies

• You are right, Azure file storage supports SMB 2.1 and 3.0, however AFAIK SMB 2.1 is only supported for requests originating from Azure i.e. If your windows 7 VM would have been provisioned in Azure then you could have mounted azure file share successfully. 

For requests from other than Azure environment, only SMB 3.0 is supported. Try mapping network drive with OS windows 8 or above which has SMB 3.0 support and you should be able to map the Azure file share as network drive.

Also make sure if outbound traffic on port 445 is open on your machine.

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Bhushan, although that was disappointing.

I can telnet on the port so it seems to be the SMB issue. Then I'll just hope I can persuade the customer to finally upgrade to Win10, too bad they've missed the free upgrade window.

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:16 PM
  • I agree however that's the only workaround you can use for now. Revert if you have any additional queries on it.

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Hi Bhushan,

I have azure VM with Server 2008 R2 OS, but not able to mount azure file storage on this and getting the same error message.

I tried on VMs hosted in same azure region as well other regions but no luck.

Its working fine with Server2012,Win10.

As per this discussion thread, storage should mounted on azure VM regardless of OS (whether its OS 2008 or 2012)

Please suggest as what could be the cause of this issue.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:04 PM