Impersonation + Error reading configuration information from the registry RRS feed

• Question

• User-653809861 posted

I have an app that is using the impersonation with encrypted key in the registery.   I have followed the steps in the article: How to use the ASP.NET utility to encrypt credentials and session state connection strings...  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329290.    However, when the app runs I get the error: Error reading configuration information from the registry.   I have read several forums, where it says that the issue is related to security, so I even (for testing) set the security for the password and user name to "everyone" and full control.    I still got the same error...  At this time it seems to me that ithe error is misleading.    Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you get around it...

Thanks in advance...

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:16 AM
  • User-653809861 posted

Hi dotnetnerd...

Thank you for taking the time to check into this issue....    I had seen those posting before and in my case the I have already set the security to read to the NETWORK SERVICE and ASP.NET....  For testing I set the key security to everyone with full control and still got the same error....   I have also looked and the keys were created in the right spot, which was : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/MY_SECURE_APP/IDENTITY/ASPNET_SETREG/password  (or UserName) and as I said before currently both keys have the security "everyone" and full access...

The WEBCONFIG reads:

<identity impersonate="true" userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MY_SECURE_APP\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"

password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MY_SECURE_APP\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password" />

As you can see, I have done all the steps outlined in the posts and the article and I still get the error....

Any ideas?????

Thank you for any help you can give me....

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:24 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi MCSDUDE

According to error message above, this issue is caused by access rights, I’d like to suggest you to re-do this project, and follow the steps strictly in the link mentioned above, it will be helpful to give a troubleshooting,

At the same time many tips are also available for you to help do that below, and it also give you guide to troubleshoot the error that "Error reading configuration information from the registry"

# How to use the ASP.NET utility to encrypt credentials and session state connection strings

http://smart-programming.blogspot.in/2008/01/how-to-use-aspnet-utility-to-encrypt.html

# Error reading configuration information from the registry

http://smart-programming.blogspot.in/2008/01/error-reading-configuration-information.html

hope it helps you,

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:09 PM