Where to find Office 2013 PIAs for install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Where do we find the Office 2013 Primary Interop Assemblies for distribution?

Also, just to clarify, how backwards compatible are these deploying into prior versions of Office?

Thanks...

Regards,

Michael Powell

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael

I don't think the redistributable is available, yet. As far as I know, the final version of VSTO 2012 hasn't been released? In any case, the PIAs will be available by default when Office 2013 is installed - the customer would have to opt out explicitly.

<<how backwards compatible are these deploying into prior versions of Office?>>

Not at all. You can program against an earlier version of the PIAs and bring the solution forward, but not the reverse.

The reverse is only possible for application-level Add-ins and then only if "Embed Interop types" is set to True. When that's the case, you can't debug (although you can develop set to False, then set to True before buidling and publishing). You also need to be very careful to not use any functionality that's not present in the older version(s).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael

I don't think the redistributable is available, yet. As far as I know, the final version of VSTO 2012 hasn't been released? In any case, the PIAs will be available by default when Office 2013 is installed - the customer would have to opt out explicitly.

<<how backwards compatible are these deploying into prior versions of Office?>>

Not at all. You can program against an earlier version of the PIAs and bring the solution forward, but not the reverse.

The reverse is only possible for application-level Add-ins and then only if "Embed Interop types" is set to True. When that's the case, you can't debug (although you can develop set to False, then set to True before buidling and publishing). You also need to be very careful to not use any functionality that's not present in the older version(s).

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Regarding:

The reverse is only possible for application-level Add-ins and then only if "Embed Interop types" is set to True. When that's the case, you can't debug (although you can develop set to False, then set to True before buidling and publishing).

Cindy, what do you mean by "you can't debug" in the sentence above?  If you mean pausing execution, changing some code, and resuming, than you are absolutely correct.  However, just hitting breakpoints, setting watches, and doing everything short of modifying running code should work, and certainly has worked for me (even for a document-level customization, I believe).  Let me know if your experience has been different, and we can certainly look into it.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hi MichaelZ.

<<Cindy, what do you mean by "you can't debug" in the sentence above?  If you mean pausing execution, changing some code, and resuming, than you are absolutely correct.  However, just hitting breakpoints, setting watches, and doing everythingshort of modifying running code should work, and certainly has worked for me (even for a document-level customization, I believe).  Let me know if your experience has been different, and we can certainly look into it.>>

You're right, and you also guessed correctly what was going through my mind when I wrote my answer. One of those "first day after the holiday and no coffee" answers <sigh> Thanks for catching it :-)

Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hello Cindy,

Does anybody know when the redistributable will become available. We are developing an application that needs to communicate with Outlook 2013 and we would rather install the PIA's with our software instead of letting it enable by the customer through office. I would expect it to be available because Office 2013 is released and the functionality we use does not seem to work with the 2007 or 2010 PIA's on Outlook 2013.

Kind regards,

Rene

• Edited by rene_sings Monday, January 7, 2013 11:07 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 11:04 AM
  • what functionality does not work? previous PIAs should work just fine, provided you use functionality that is present there.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Hello Damian,

According to our developers, when they used the VSTO that is build for Office 2010 in Outlook 2013 the loading of the VSTO caused a crash in Outlook. After the VSTO was rebuild for Office 2013, the plugin did not crash Outlook but it only works on a PC where Visual Studio is installed.

Kind regards,

René (Senior Software Tester)

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:14 PM
  • vsto add-in buit for office 2010 should work just fine on office 2013 machine - i would rather go with investigation what causes it to crash than rebuilding plugin (which most probably will break it for office 2010 installations). Can you investigate those crashes? attach VS or use VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS =0 or use windbg.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hello Damian,

Thanks for the info. The developers are currently trying to debug, but when VS is attached the issue doesn't come up.

From what I understood from the developer, it looks like it has to do something with the order of installing: vsto runtime v4, .net framework 3.5 and our client software. If it is installed in this order manually it works, but if the vsto runtime and framework is installed by our client software it goes wrong (and it cannot be repaired easy). Does that make any sense?

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:49 AM
  • no, i have not heard about such installation order issue. Usually it goes other way around - .net framework, vstor, add-in. which vstor2010 do you use? one for .net 3.5 or the one for .net 4.0?
    • Proposed as answer by Nobin Jose SG Monday, June 24, 2013 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:04 PM
  • So, when can we expect PIAs to be released against Office 2013? We've got code waiting in the queue that we need to get deployed, and a VSTO that's ready to go but for runtimes.

To clarify, when they do get published, these will be backwards compatible like PIAs have been up to now?

Thank you.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Hi Mike

If Office 2013 is installed, the PIAs should be present on the client machine. The Office PIAs installed with Office 2013 are the final release. Only if the person doing the installation specifically opted out of installing .NET support would they be missing. So nothing should be stopping you from deploying a solution except...

That VSTO in VS 2012 is still not officially released? VSTO runtimes and PIAs are two different things. The PIAs are part of Office; the VSTO runtime is part of Visual Studio.

As far as I know, VSTO still in the "Preview" phase? You shouldn't be deploying anything compiled against a "preview" version - things could change in the final release.

We answered your question about "backwards compatibility" of PIAs earlier. What isn't clear?

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:05 AM
  • The downside is that if the user had opted out of installing the PIA either by not having .NET installed before installing office, or by choosing a custom install and deselecting Outlook Programmability Support, then it becomes a headache for the IT administrator who is trying to push out the add-in to many workstations.

Up to this point (for Outlook 2003 - 2010) we have been providing a bootstrapper which allows trial users to quickly get the add-in prerequisites like the .NET Framework, PIA, and VSTO runtime installed if needed before it calls our MSI to install the add-in.  Unfortunately it looks like the Outlook 2013 PIA Bootstrapper package is not yet available, or am I wrong?  

For corporate-wide deployment though we provide instructions on how to deploy the prerequisites and add-in via group policy.  Without being able to download the Outlook 2013 PIA installer, the IT administrator has to be aware (or assume) that users do have it installed.  Or is there another way they can handle this?

Do we have any idea on when the PIA and its Bootstrapper Package will become available?

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:48 PM
  • for my add-ins i just copy needed pia assemblies as private dlls along with others.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:12 PM
  • This seems to contradict the following support entry from Damon Zheng in
    Microsoft Office for Developers forums > Excel for Developers

"I am sorry to tell you that currently there is no available redistributable package of PIA(Primary Interop Assemblies) for Office 2013. However, the PIAs will be available by default if Office 2013 is installed, but you have to opt it explicitly when installing."

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:07 AM
  • There is no redistributable PIA package for Office 2013. Use Framework 4 or higher and embed the PIA's you're using in the assembly you compile. Then you don't need a redistributable PIA package at all.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:42 PM
  • This seems to contradict the following support entry from Damon Zheng in
    Microsoft Office for Developers forums > Excel for Developers

"I am sorry to tell you that currently there is no available redistributable package of PIA(Primary Interop Assemblies) for Office 2013. However, the PIAs will be available by default if Office 2013 is installed, but you have to opt it explicitly when installing."

I can assure you that, by default, installation of the PIAs is automatic IF any version of the .NET Framework (the GAC is required) is already installed. This will be the case, by default, on all versions of Windows released after XP (which in any case is no longer supported).

Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Cindy,

Hopefully you are still 'plugged in' to this thread.

You state above that "If Office 2013 is installed, the PIAs should be present on the client machine. The Office PIAs installed with Office 2013 are the final release."

Does this hold for installations of MSO through an Office 365 subscription? Where I work, we are all using Office 365 Professional or ProPlus, currently at V15, soon to go to the MSO 2016 apps.

Thanks!

(and thanks for all the help you've given through all of the other questions you've responded to on this and other MSO forums. I'd be miles behind if not for you!)

Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Not Cindy, but yes, the PIA's would be installed.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, May 16, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Thank Ken!

Paul

Monday, May 16, 2016 9:10 PM
  • What happens when despite the latest visual studio being installed and .net the PIA's are explicitly NOT available on my machine? I don't have a version of Office to hand either and I'm actually stuck without these if I wish to develop on my main computer :(

Googling hasn't thrown up anything useful on these damn things - why are they so awkward?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:01 PM
  • The short answer is you need Office installed. That will provide the PIA's and also allow you to run, test and debug your code. Additionally, if you want to reference anything in the Office object model using Intellisense or anything but late binding you need Office installed.

Your users will of course also need Office installed. And if you're targeting Framework 4 or later you can embed the PIA's and don't need to deploy them.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:37 PM