FBWF Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have a couple of questions relating to the FBWF

I have it operational and I am currently monitoring the memory usage via the API

Question 1 is should I have cache compression turned on or off?.....this may seem like a stupid question, but if compression is possible, why would you not have it turned on? Is this purely a speed issue in that compression on increases cache read/write times? Or are there some other 'gotchas' I would need to be aware of with compression turned on.

My second question relates the the cache size and the threshold value. I am running with pre-allocation off so I understand this means my cache size is dynamic....is this correct? Is the threshold value actually a maximum cache size (the name is a bit misleading)?

Thanks in advance 

Steve

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:18 AM

Answers

• Dynamic compressed can be used. The only thing that might happen is a little performance hit compared to uncompressed. Since the Overlay is in RAM, it might not matter.

Preallocate means the cache size is fixed at the MaximumCacheSize. It will take up RAM based on the Max cache size, and applications cannot use this RAM. If you don't set the max cache size the allocation of RAM is 128MB for 32-bit and 256MB for 64-bit.  The cache size being dynamic means the overlay will grow and shrink, which will allow application to get more RAM as the overlay shrinks. The use of the word threshold in the API is a little miss-used. It does mean max cache size in this context. In UWF, threshold is a different context.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:45 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:40 PM

All replies

• Dynamic compressed can be used. The only thing that might happen is a little performance hit compared to uncompressed. Since the Overlay is in RAM, it might not matter.

Preallocate means the cache size is fixed at the MaximumCacheSize. It will take up RAM based on the Max cache size, and applications cannot use this RAM. If you don't set the max cache size the allocation of RAM is 128MB for 32-bit and 256MB for 64-bit.  The cache size being dynamic means the overlay will grow and shrink, which will allow application to get more RAM as the overlay shrinks. The use of the word threshold in the API is a little miss-used. It does mean max cache size in this context. In UWF, threshold is a different context.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by S P Wiggins Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:45 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Hi Sean

That clarifies it for me. Will use dynamic compressed as it really does make quite a difference in my testing. I am using 64 bit WES7 so I will probably leave the threshold at the default size as this is more then enough.

Many thanks

Steve

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Great. Be sure to use FBWFMGR.exe and check the overlay details to see if anything fills up the overlay. If the overlay gets filled up you can open holes for those items and or increase the max cache size.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:29 PM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks to your book and FBWF API example I have integrated checks into my .NET program to monitor it. So far I have used no more than 25MB in compressed mode.

Thanks again

Steve

Friday, March 18, 2016 9:09 AM