none
dataset throwing arithmetic exception RRS feed

• Question

• I have a function that is throwing an arithmetic exception when I try to store a 10 digit number. I checked the database, the field is set to bigint and I can enter the number manually without any problems. I also tested the stored procedure I use to insert the data and it too will accept the number without any problems.

However, when I use the data table's add row method I get an arithmetic exception. The field in the dataset is set to System.Int64. 

I am lost as to what may be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Luis

Saturday, August 19, 2006 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you give the source code of your function which throws the exception and how you call it?
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 5:15 PM
  • Here is the source code I'm using. Basically I get a DirectoryInfo or FileInfo object and pass some of the values to a database table in memory

Private Sub AddFileToExisting(ByVal Name As String, ByVal Length As Integer, ByVal CreationTime As Date, ByVal DirectoryName As String, ByVal Extension As String, ByVal FullName As String, ByVal IsReadOnly As Boolean, ByVal LastAccessTime As Date, ByVal LastWriteTime As Date, ByVal strParent As String, ByVal strFileType As String)

Try

If Me.CheckDate(CreationTime) And Me.CheckDate(LastAccessTime) And Me.CheckDate(LastWriteTime) Then

frmMain.dtabExistingFiles.AddtblMasterFilesRow(Name, Length, CreationTime, DirectoryName, Extension, FullName, IsReadOnly, LastAccessTime, LastWriteTime, Date.Now, strFileType, strParent)

Else

If Me.CheckDate(CreationTime) = False Then

CreationTime = CDate("1/1/1900")

End If

If Me.CheckDate(LastAccessTime) = False Then

LastAccessTime = CDate("1/1/1900")

End If

If Me.CheckDate(LastWriteTime) = False Then

LastWriteTime = CDate("1/1/1900")

End If

frmMain.dtabExistingFiles.AddtblMasterFilesRow(Name, Length, CreationTime, DirectoryName, Extension, FullName, IsReadOnly, LastAccessTime, LastWriteTime, Date.Now, strFileType, strParent)

End If

Public Function CheckDate(ByVal dateToCheck As DateTime) As Boolean

Dim datMin As DateTime = CDate("1/1/1753")

If datMin < dateToCheck And dateToCheck < DateTime.MaxValue Then

Return True

Else

Return False

End If

End Function

Catch sqlEx As SqlClient.SqlException

Catch ex As Exception

If ex.Message.ToString.Contains("Cannot set column 'Extension'") Then

Extension = "UNK"

Else

Throw ex

End If

End Try

End Sub

Saturday, August 19, 2006 7:30 PM
  • From your code, I didn't see anything related to int64...
    Monday, August 21, 2006 5:58 PM