GAX License clarification for commercial use. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There!

I'm a freelance developer and need some clarification for commercial usage of GAX/GAT/SCSF downloads for my clients.

Scenario:

I plan to use GAX/GAT Feb, 2008 downloads together with Smart Client SF May 2007 release for developing a Smart Client application for my Client (commerical application).

The Smart Client application would support disconnected mode of operation. The Smart Client application would also be available on the Client's Web site, for which my client in turn might even want to charge the users for using the application.

NOTE: I have a licensed MSDN Premium edition which includes VS 2005 Proffesional Edition IDE.

Problem/Queries:

1) Am I allowed to use the above utilities for developing a commercial application/software(s) for my clients, who may in turn charge its own clients for using the application?

2) As I install the GAX Feb, 2008 downloads, I came across a EULA License term in the Scope of License section stating:

The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

use the software for commercial software hosting services.

Does this above commerical s/w hosting services clause restricts me in any way to use the above tools for developing a commercial application as described in the above scenario?

3) What exactly is implied by commercial software hosting services?

Microsoft's clear response on the above matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Gaurav.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

• Gaurav,

Re: 1)

Yes, you are allowed to use GAT and SCSF for developing redistributable packages for your clients - this is in the GAT license.

Re: 2)

You cannot deploy GAX on the server on a standalone basis for others to access. If the GAX runtime is needed for your clients to use your app, you should direct the users to download it from the Microsoft Download Center.

Regards,

Grigori

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:17 PM