none
MSDN Subscription - Order Fulfilment Process is Broken RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a MSDN subscrption from a reseller in the UK on Friday. I subsequently registered with the VLSC website. Unfortunately, it seems the order fulfilment process is broken so Microsoft need to do some sort of manual hack of their database so that I can gain access to the Visual Studio download and keys.

Questions:

1. Why did the Microsoft 'Hotline' claim that my reseller was to blame for not paying Microsoft for the subscription? Forgive me, but it seems they didn't know what was wrong so decided to put the blame on someone else.

2. My reseller told me that he currently has about a dozen customers in the same position. Clearly, this isn't an isolated incident.

3. I was told that it might take as long as five days to fix the problem. Apparently, there's a huge queue of people waiting for such fixes. Does Microsoft consider this acceptable?

4. I've been subscribing to MSDN for twenty+ years and everytime some sort of hack is required. Isn't it about time Microsoft invested in a decent system?

I am posting this message here in the hope that something might be done.

will stott

• Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:11 PM (From:Where is the Forum For…?)
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:14 PM

Answers

• Actually, the last time I had a hassle-free experience buying a MSDN subscription was in 1985 before Microsoft setup shop in Dublin. Somehow the move coincided with an explosion in bureaucracy and the employment of 'sales and marketing' people rather than people who were passionate about technology.

However, I'm happy to report that my problem has now been fixed - though it did take a call to the US Support centre. There is a huge cultural difference between the UK and US Support Centres. The people in the US seem genuinely interested in helping and get things done, whereas in the UK they seem demoralised and fatalistic, which is not surprising given their systems don't work!

Thanks for listening. Perhaps something will be done before I renew in 2 years.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:57 PM

All replies

• Sorry about your continued frustrations with the purchase and renewal process Will.  I don't know exactly why you got the responses you did from the individuals at the reseller and the MSDN Call Center you communicated with, but if you browse these forums you'll see posts that the renewal process has been an ongoing issue for some of our customers.  Some even find their previous complaint about renewing a year later and follow up on the same thread.  The fact that people can download something off of one of our competitors sites 5 seconds after they purchase it, but some of our customers still have to measure our renewal  process in days is something we acknowledge and are personally frustrated with.

For a long time, we've said "sorry about this, we hear you, please contact MSDN Support." Unfortunately, today I don't have any changes to announce about the purchase process, so that's the same message we have.  We hear you.  We're sorry.  The MSDN Support team can assist you through the renewal.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Actually, the last time I had a hassle-free experience buying a MSDN subscription was in 1985 before Microsoft setup shop in Dublin. Somehow the move coincided with an explosion in bureaucracy and the employment of 'sales and marketing' people rather than people who were passionate about technology.

However, I'm happy to report that my problem has now been fixed - though it did take a call to the US Support centre. There is a huge cultural difference between the UK and US Support Centres. The people in the US seem genuinely interested in helping and get things done, whereas in the UK they seem demoralised and fatalistic, which is not surprising given their systems don't work!

Thanks for listening. Perhaps something will be done before I renew in 2 years.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Interesting about the UK call center.  Thanks for sharing, and thanks for continuing to be an MSDN Subscriber!

Cheers,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Totally agree about #4, long-time MSDN subscriber, and anytime a renewal or purchase is required it is a nightmare.  Microsoft should be embarrassed...  How can you sell software for BUILDING websites when your own site is stuck in 2001?
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:09 PM
  • It's now 2017 and MSDN renewal is still a nightmare ...

I have just a (very expensive) personal subscription but according to the agreement document I play all of these roles:

Software Assurance manager
    Subscriptions manager
    Online Services manager

Of course there was no trouble paying the money. I wonder if they do refunds for non-delivery

Saturday, August 26, 2017 8:15 PM