none
Visual Studio 2015 Community edition hangs when start debugging

Question

• The program hangs when i use 'Start Debugging' or 'Start Without Debugging'. I created a new empty C++ project(Project1) but same thing happened. By the way, in Task Manager there are two instances of Project1.exe. I'm using Windows 7. 
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi ankador,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>> in Task Manager there are two instances of Project1.exe.

What about end one of it in the Task Manager to see if it helps?

If the above doesn't help, please confirm that your computer's CPU and Memory is enough, which are not in high utilization.

Please create a other type project using Visual Studio Community 2015 to make sure this problem occurs with a specific project or all projects.

If just for a specific project, please create a new blank solution and remove the project to the new solution one by one to confirm which project causes this problem.

If for all projects in Visual Studio 2015, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as Administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software, such as antivirus software.
    4. Reset all settings through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    5. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Visual Studio Community 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please collect the Visual Studio operations log with  /Log switch. It will help us collect all operations when we operate Visual Studio. The log file can be found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:18 AM
  • I've had 2 antivirus programs installed, i deleted them and now VS works fine.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi ankador,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>> in Task Manager there are two instances of Project1.exe.

What about end one of it in the Task Manager to see if it helps?

If the above doesn't help, please confirm that your computer's CPU and Memory is enough, which are not in high utilization.

Please create a other type project using Visual Studio Community 2015 to make sure this problem occurs with a specific project or all projects.

If just for a specific project, please create a new blank solution and remove the project to the new solution one by one to confirm which project causes this problem.

If for all projects in Visual Studio 2015, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio as Administrator.
    2. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Close all third part software, such as antivirus software.
    4. Reset all settings through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    5. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Visual Studio Community 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please collect the Visual Studio operations log with  /Log switch. It will help us collect all operations when we operate Visual Studio. The log file can be found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:18 AM
  • I've had 2 antivirus programs installed, i deleted them and now VS works fine.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:42 PM