Different Gradients for Concentric Circles RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings Annie, Deebs, Fred, and Germaine,

I've been away from ExDesign for a while and have to start at 'scales' again before I can play a song.

My problem is that I have a series of concentric circles - outer circle 1 comprised of 2 circle strokes, first inner circle made of the inner stroke of outer circle 1 plus another circle stroke, etc... These circles go inward for 5 circle pairs.  I want each circle pair to have its own gradient color and I want the innermost circle to be blank.  I've forgotten how to do this. Will someone please be so kind as to refresh my recollection?

I hope you all have been well.

Peace,

Phroneo

Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:33 AM

Answers

• True Elena, true... an image always helps for sure.  Plus!

5 - for the inner most circle/disk/hoop if "blank" wholly transparent to stuff below it an Eraser blend mode is helpful for sure provided the arrangement of objects (circles/disks/hoops) is on a layer of its own with background stuff in lower layers (I'm assuming Erase blend mode still performs as in the past)

• Marked as answer by Phroneo- Monday, September 20, 2010 9:59 PM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Circles are fine for sure but a hoop shape (large circle minus smaller circle wholly contained and with a shared center) means that there are two edges hence complexities with bevel fx.

See if you can spot circles with bevel fx and hoops with bevel fx below:

• Marked as answer by Phroneo- Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:29 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hello there!

Concentric circles with different gradient colours?  A couple of potential working methods spring to mind...

1 - elegant use of the stacking circles with a common centre

2 - potential to use blend modes on upper circles to obtain pleasant complexities of gradient fills

3 - potential to use hoops (a bit like an engineer's washer) rather than circles/disks

4 - potential to use a bevel effect to add depth to proposed design

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:03 AM
  • If what BBB proposed does not solve entirely your problem, please post an image to help us understand where you are.

You can assign each circle a different gradient, you can also assign a gradient to the stroke and another one to the fill. I think you are using radial gradients, so for the outermost circles, if you are not using blend modes or transparency, you may need to "push" your gradient at the external edge by moving the gradient steps toward right, so they won't be covered by internal circles.

Monday, September 20, 2010 1:43 PM
  • True Elena, true... an image always helps for sure.  Plus!

5 - for the inner most circle/disk/hoop if "blank" wholly transparent to stuff below it an Eraser blend mode is helpful for sure provided the arrangement of objects (circles/disks/hoops) is on a layer of its own with background stuff in lower layers (I'm assuming Erase blend mode still performs as in the past)

• Marked as answer by Phroneo- Monday, September 20, 2010 9:59 PM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.

As I stated, it's been a while since I've used Expression Design 4. So I'm hoping that all I need is to have my recollection refreshed. Here is a link to an example file:

ConCircles.jpg

What I want is for each concentric circle to be its own color within the outer and inner strokes only. I made each area by first creating a large circle, CTRL-C, CTRL-F resize smaller for each ring.  I do not want to color each entire circle and I do not want there to be any color 'bleed-through' to the overlapping color.  I would like for the center to be blank with no color.

I can put each smaller circle into its own lay, as you have suggested if that will prevent color from the layer below showing.  And yes, it is somewhat like a series of bolt washers of smaller sizes put inside of a larger washer.

One last question, how do I get my image to show inside this reply box?

Peace,

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Hello Again,

I just posted the above and then went back into Expression Design to see if keeping the different circles within individual layers would solve my problem.  The answer is a resounding YES! So, somewhat red-faced, I thank you all for your help and suggestions.  It appears as if I should get myself reacquainted with Expression Design so that simple things such as this don't throw me.

Peace,

Monday, September 20, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Every question is a good question yes?

(I think it is the IMG tag in html thingy code stuff)

Monday, September 20, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Hi Phroneo,

It looks like you got some great answers in a hurry. 

Hi Elena and Deebs,

Wow, you both are fast with good answers.  Kind like 'old times', huh?

All,

Good to see everybody here. Keep in touch!

Best Regards,

~Fred
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:45 AM
  •  

1 - click on HTML (just above this text input box)

2 - [ img = "link to image" alt = "image" ]

(a) note that this is image address where I've put "link to image".  If the link includes words self.asp? it is the wrong link

(b) I've used square brackets above, you will need to use angled brackets

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Circles are fine for sure but a hoop shape (large circle minus smaller circle wholly contained and with a shared center) means that there are two edges hence complexities with bevel fx.

See if you can spot circles with bevel fx and hoops with bevel fx below:

• Marked as answer by Phroneo- Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:29 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Bingo!

You must be reading my mind.  That's exactly what I want to achieve. I played around with the concept you presented just to see if I got the basic idea.  Now let's see if I can post it here:

ConCircleBevels

Thanks for your help on this. I appreciate it.

Peace,

• Edited by Phroneo- Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:54 PM Bad Link
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Uh-huh... Thank you Phroneo- for posting an interesting challenge that was very interesting.

I'm arriving at the conclusion that developers should consider "is the application fun to use?" as part of the evaluation process and ED gets 5 stars on that from me :-)

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:37 PM
  • I think you have a good point about the addition of that survey question.  I use both Expression Suite 4 and Adobe Design Premium CS4 - So that means Expression Design 4 and Illustrator CS4.  I like both programs for different reasons, but I have to really think my way through Illustrator CS4 and I seem to create my way using Expression Design 4. You're right - it's more fun to use - at least for me.  In addition, there seems to be a different feel to the forums.  Both are helpful but I like it here. Just some personal perspective.

PS: How much smaller do these boxes get as threads progress?

Peace,

• Proposed as answer by BBB Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:57 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Hoops seem to yield more fun?

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Absolutely!

Look at how fun what you created is.

Let the good times roll.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:16 PM