none
Could not find installable ISAM error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have an accdb created with Access2016. I want to connect to this database using the string: "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0;Source=STAT_ESTR.accdb;".

If I compile for x64 systems I get: "Could not find installable ISAM".

If I compile for x86 or AnyCPU I get: "The provider Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0 is not installed in your computer".

If I try to add a Dataset by using wizard, Visual studio 2017 allows me to select only ACE.OLEDB.12 for telling me that is not installed in my computer.

I have Access Runtime x64 2016 and 2010 installed.

Is there a way to use your products or should I go to SQLite?

IssamTP

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:10 PM

Answers

• OK, I overlooked something too.

Your problem is like what's described in here, it's "Data Source" not just "Source" in your connection string.

• Marked as answer by IssamTP Friday, December 21, 2018 7:58 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:37 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The ACE version of Access is always 12.0 since Office 2007.

See "Install Instructions" section of the Access Database Engine 2016 runtime for reference.

[quote]

2. If you are an application developer using OLEDB, set the Provider argument of the ConnectionString property to “Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0”

[/quote]

Also, make sure you're using 64-bit version of Office to get the 64-bit driver. Although it's possible to install x64 version of driver on system with 32-bit version of Office installed, the installation process will require some manual step on masking MSO.dll, a few tweak on registry, etc. and not recommanded.

If you found you have 32-bit version of Office installed, you'll want to change your project target from "Any CPU" to "x86" at least for the time you're developing. (64-bit process don't see 32-bit drivers and vice versa)

Thursday, December 20, 2018 1:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi cheong00, thanks for your reply.

Unforunately, nothing changes if I use Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 in Provider field in connection string. I still get "Could not find installable ISAM" in x64 compile and "No provider registered for Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for x86.

In my private computer I have no office installed and VS2017 Community edition, at work VS2015 Professional and Office 365 64 bit.

EDIT

Update: I've installed Office 2007 data connectivity and now something in the DataSet wizard has changed and seems to work, but still nothing with my string.

IssamTP

• Edited by IssamTP Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:01 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 7:39 AM
  • Also, try to specify full path to your file in the connection string as specified here.
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Nothing still works.

IssamTP

Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:28 AM
  • OK, I overlooked something too.

Your problem is like what's described in here, it's "Data Source" not just "Source" in your connection string.

• Marked as answer by IssamTP Friday, December 21, 2018 7:58 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, that's the solution.

Now I have another question then: is the ACE.OLEDB.12.0 the latest driver available? Is 16.0 correct or only trash coming from the Internet?

IssamTP

Friday, December 21, 2018 8:00 AM
  • I'd advise you to use "ACE.OLEDB.12.0" as this is the instruction available on the Microsoft Download page for the component. When the OLEDB driver try to access it, querying for v12 should be able to find it, and the programming interface it provides should match version 12.

Friday, December 21, 2018 8:38 AM
    Answerer