none
Requirement to create icon overlay on files & Folders by C#

Question

• Requirement Description:I am creating a Synch and Share project where I need to change folders and files icon for better representation.

Requirement Type: - Critical

Already attempted: - I have checked many forums, but not getting help article which can help us to complete requirement.  As this is critical requirement which needs to be shown to customer, so kindly assist to achieve this.

E.g.

Kindly assist, I will be really thankful.

Regards, S.P Singh

• Edited by S.P Singh Monday, April 15, 2019 4:17 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 4:15 PM

All replies

• Not the answer you'll want to receive, but don't do it.

.NET isn't supported for in-process shell extensions, and while you can often do them and get away with it in many environments,
    when you do hit a problem (usually with a demanding customer with other 3'rd party icon overlay extensions), it will be a major
    problem.

Dave

Monday, April 15, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Further to David Lowndes observation, refer to Microsoft's Guidance for Implementing In-Process Extensions which states -

"One runtime of particular note is the common language runtime (CLR), also known as managed code or the .NET Framework. Microsoft recommends against writing managed in-process extensions to Windows Explorer or Windows Internet Explorer and does not consider them a supported scenario."

Monday, April 15, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Applications like One Drive and SVN change folders and files icons, and I want to do similar to that. I am sharing a one drive screenshot from machine. Let me know. How are the One Drive and SVN achieving the same, I will do the same to achieve it.

Kindly assist in same direction to achieve it using C#. I will be really thankful.

Regards, S.P Singh

• Edited by S.P Singh Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:15 AM
  • Applications like One Drive and SVN change folders and files icons, and I want to do similar to that.

All those applications run into the same problems - for example, search for Problem here:
    https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/sync-icon-overlays-are-missing-from-onedrive-and-onedrive-for-business-b25070ab-2226-4ad8-b1fc-ae28cc44ecd2

Icon overlays are limited, you inevitably get into a war to get in front of some other icon overlay.

Kindly assist in same direction to achieve it using C#.

And if you do it in C#, you're entering into another war. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20061218-01/?p=28693

Dave

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Thanks David, all I have understand, that it is due to un-managed code, so if I will implement this in C++, will it be smoothly achievable?

Kindly suggest and also provide some reference link to immediate start, I will be really thankful.

Regards, S.P Singh

• Edited by S.P Singh Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:07 AM
  • >Thanks David, all I have understand, that it is due to un-managed code, so if I will implement this in C++, will it be smoothly achievable?

You won't then have the managed code issues, but unless your application is running in a locked down environment where you know you
    won't ever hit the limit on icon overlay handlers, you're still likely to encounter the other issue. Note that newer OneDrive now
    uses a Status column in details view to display information.

Dave

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Some background material for you - Why is there a limit of 15 shell icon overlays?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:47 AM