Windows 8.1 and multi-select behavior

General discussion

• Hi,

There is built-in multi-select behavior in ListView control (which uses Swipe to select additional elements etc.) and originally Microsoft encouraged developers to use this behavior as part of universal Windows 8 gesture language.

However, I noticed that with release of Windows 8.1 Microsoft didn’t use this behavior in they own products any more. For example, in Mail app they add “Select” button, which enables special multi-select mode and shows select check-boxes on items. Start screen now also implements special “Customize” mode that allows to select multiple elements by tapping.

What is preferable way of implementing multi-select in Windows 8.1 apps and why?

Eugene Akinshin

• Changed type Jamles HezModerator Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:31 AM could be a discussion more than question
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:57 AM

All replies

• I guess this is more about listening to the users' feedback. Windows 8 has many UI tricks that can help keep the clutter free (hidden App Bars, semantic zoom etc...). But, at the same time, they seem not so obvious to casual users (even those who use a tablet 10 hours a day for FB.

Some changes Win 8.1 has adopted seem to be just for the sake of easy accessibility to the users.

So, it's up to you to decide how techsavvy your audience is. You can also use help content on first run of the app to demonstrate any not-so-obvious gestures so that the user could benefit from smart gestures' efficiency in the long run.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:19 AM
  • if you will follow the guidelines you will use Swipe to select additional elements, but when you release your application , you start get some feedback from the  users , and you have to consider it,

That's why Microsoft did that, but i  encourage you to use the guidelines 

Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:25 AM