EWS ContactGroup can't edit from OWA RRS feed

• Question

• I have created contactgroups for all of my users but I am finding that the groups I created are not able to be edited in OWA. I can edit them from Outlook, but the majority of our users are using only OWA. Here is the code I used.

// Create new contact object
    ContactGroup contactGroup = new ContactGroup(Service);

// Set display name
    contactGroup.DisplayName = card.FormattedName;

// Loop throgh email addresses
    for (int j = 0; j < card.EmailAddresses.Count(); j++)
    {
    // Create a group member
    GroupMember gm = new GroupMember(card.EmailAddresses[j].Address, card.EmailAddresses[j].Address);

// Add members to the group
    contactGroup.Members.Add(gm);
    }

// Save contact group
    contactGroup.Save();

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've got the same problem... it happens just creating a group even without any contact...
    Friday, July 19, 2013 8:17 AM
  • What version of Exchange are you both using 2010, 2013 ??

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:47 AM
  • I'm running on Office 365 which I believe is 2013.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 12:05 PM
  • The same here...
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Looks like this is a bug in OWA, I can reproduce it and what I see Fiddler when I look at the response is

{"Body":{"ErrorCode":500,"FaultMessage":"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.","IsTransient":false}}

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:00 AM
  • But a group created in OWA works correctly...

Maybe there's a special flag or something else we can include during the creation of the group to avoid this error?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:11 AM
  • I thought the same thing about the flag. I have been going property by property and I cannot find out what it is. As you can see from my example, the creation of the group is super simple. I have been comparing this group to one that was created in Outlook and I'm sure there is something different, but just can't trace it.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Yes... I did the same and I couldn't find the difference...

Glen: maybe this make some sense to you: in my case, when I assign a contact to the problematic group, it's displayed using the mail address. A contact assigned to a group created through OWA is displayed using the name...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Glen, Marc, and Bob:

Thank you for bringing this up. I've reported this to our development team.

With regards,

Michael | Microsoft Exchange Developer Content

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:31 AM
  • Just a postscript to this a few people have posted some workarounds that seems to work which is setting the PidTagConversationIndexTracking property http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee218393(v=exchg.80).aspx see

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/50937049-f919-4ce3-be21-24fdef2c7695/ews-created-distribution-list-is-not-editable

and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/90d7e749-977e-4191-87cf-725007a326b4/contacts-created-by-ews-v20-are-visible-in-outlook-but-not-in-owa-in-office-365

eg this seem to work for me

ContactGroup contactGroup = new ContactGroup(service);
                ExtendedPropertyDefinition PidTagConversationIndexTracking = new ExtendedPropertyDefinition(12310, MapiPropertyType.Boolean);
                contactGroup.DisplayName = "teset to owa2";
                GroupMember gm = new GroupMember("blahblah", "user@domain.com");
                contactGroup.Members.Add(gm);
                contactGroup.SetExtendedProperty(PidTagConversationIndexTracking, true);
                contactGroup.Save(); 
    cheers
    Glen
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:59 AM
  • That works for me too! Thanks Glen!
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:08 PM