none
Can you know your app url before publishing?

Question

• Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to know what your app's web URL is before you publish your app? When I share information in HTML format I would like to include something like "From [My App]" at the bottom and it's a link to the app's web page on the Windows Store.

I know how to implement the ms-windows-store: link but it is possible the recipients aren't running Windows 8.

Thanks,

Mark Moeykens

Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot the App's before getting published in the store. 

Also, users other than win8 will see only the website information and will not go to store. Because there is no meaning in providing access to the store when the apps are not supported in that version.

Pradeep AJ

• Marked as answer by Mark Moeykens Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:34 AM
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:33 AM
  • No you can't mark , 

the application need to be online to show the URL

Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot the App's before getting published in the store. 

Also, users other than win8 will see only the website information and will not go to store. Because there is no meaning in providing access to the store when the apps are not supported in that version.

Pradeep AJ

Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:33 AM
  • No you can't mark , 

the application need to be online to show the URL

Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Came here today to post the same question.

This prevents anyone from including a URL to the app store in the initial release of the app. I am working on a puzzle game that uses sharing so users can share their achievements. Makes perfect sense to include the URL to the app store but this is not possible because we don't know the URL until after the app is published. That is insane. And using the ms-windows-store protocol is not a valid substitution because I want non-Windows users to have a working URL.

Windows Phone does not suffer from this problem btw. You can see the app id which is used in the URL as soon as you reserve the app name.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:37 AM
  • You can actually figure out the URL pretty easily:

Go to the release anchor page (where you're editing release 1 of the app) and grab the GUID from the end of the URL:

https://appdev.microsoft.com/StorePortals/en-US/Developer/Catalog/ReleaseAnchor/{GUID}

Then you can append that to the URL as shown below:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/{GUID}

This link won't work until the app's published, FYI.

• Proposed as answer by Ted.D Monday, May 19, 2014 6:03 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Thanks for the great tip Ted.

Monday, May 19, 2014 10:32 PM