problem with making link server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a security problem to establish a linked server from a database to another. My steps is as below:

1.       In the server  1 which is SQL Server 2008 (10.50.2500.0) I want to make a linked server to Server 2 which is SQL Server 2012 (11.0.3339.0)
    2.       Server 2 is Windows authentication and my windows user is defined there with Public role.
    3.       I loge in to Server 1 with my windows user that has sysadmin and public roles in server 1.
    4.       Then I try to make a linked server to Server 2 from server 1
    5.       In the linked server properties dialog I add a local login (domainName\ userName) and check the impersonate check box.
    6.       When try to submit the changes and close the dialog box with OK button I get this error (mfarahani is my user name and gbgnetwork.net' is our domain):

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Create failed for LinkedServerLogin 'mfarahani@gbgnetwork.net'.  (SqlManagerUI)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.2500.0+((KJ_PCU_Main).110617-0038+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+LinkedServerLogin&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

'mfarahani@gbgnetwork.net' is not a valid login or you do not have permission. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15007)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.2500&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=15007&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I don’t know what the problem is. May the difference between versions of SQL server cause the problem? Or it is a security problem?

Thank you for help…

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:35 AM

Answers