WPF TabItem doesn't get selected RRS feed

• Question

• I got a strange issue in WPF MDI(Multiple-document interface). I am using TabControl, TabItem. My requirement is whenever TabItem is opened it should get selected , I mean TabItem header should get selected. In fact I have written 
    my logic just to achieve this. TabItem selection is crucial for me as that selection prepares a dynamic menu and updates the menu bar.

TabItem has scroll viewer which hosts controls like edit box , grid etc. For normal case everything is happening fine.
    But for some cases , tabitem is not getting selected. It renders scrollviewer content properly only problem is 
    somehow , tab header doesn't get selected. As per my observation , if scrollviewer doesn't contain any control or contains non editable controls I see this issue. But still for these usecases , I can say this is intermittent.

To know the root cases ,I have added focus events for both tabitem and scrollviewer. To my surprise , while 
    opening the tabitem at the end focus is lost for scrollviewer and then for tabitem too. I don’t have any idea of 
    who is causing the focus lost events. Also I don’t see any logic which may kick these focus lost events. 

As per the suggestion mentioned in below link , I added code changes but there is no improvement.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/30ed27ce-f7b7-48ae-8adc-0400b9b9ec78/tabcontrol-focus-problems

Could anyone add hints on this ?

Thanks,
    Brahmaji.  
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:50 AM

Answers

• Douglas' deferred approach doesn't defer as much as I would.

And all that updatelayout stuff.. I don't really like the look of it.

I would just try:

Application.Current.Dispatcher.InvokeAsync(new Action(() => 
    {  
       // Do stuff

}), DispatcherPriority.ContextIdle);

That waits until anything else the ui is doing has finished.

I guess it's rendering this, focussing that and then decides to go lose focus doing something else ( I don't follow what ).

Whilst it's doing stuff it will not be idle.

That snippet defers the "Do stuff" until it's doing nothing.

Try that.

If it doesn't resolve the issue then maybe we need to delve more into what you're doing. 

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

• Edited by Andy ONeill Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Xavier Xie-MSFT Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xavier Xie-MSFT Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:20 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:54 AM

All replies

• Douglas' deferred approach doesn't defer as much as I would.

And all that updatelayout stuff.. I don't really like the look of it.

I would just try:

Application.Current.Dispatcher.InvokeAsync(new Action(() => 
    {  
       // Do stuff

}), DispatcherPriority.ContextIdle);

That waits until anything else the ui is doing has finished.

I guess it's rendering this, focussing that and then decides to go lose focus doing something else ( I don't follow what ).

Whilst it's doing stuff it will not be idle.

That snippet defers the "Do stuff" until it's doing nothing.

Try that.

If it doesn't resolve the issue then maybe we need to delve more into what you're doing. 

Hope that helps.

• Edited by Andy ONeill Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Xavier Xie-MSFT Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xavier Xie-MSFT Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:20 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:54 AM
  • Perhaps creating a property in the DataContext bound to the IsSelected property of the TabItem and creating breakpoints in the property get and set accessors could give you a path to see in the CallStack window what is going on in the background.

Codelines

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:58 AM
  • That's an idea.

Focus issues are very ephemeral though.

And a break point will take focus.

debug,writeline might be more useful.

Hope that helps.

Friday, December 11, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for the hints. Main challenge here is , I could not replicate the problem here. I just saw this in one of my customers environment and he is worrying about this weird behavior. In fact I have added few trace messages and got them tested by customer. But I don't see any unexpected thing with the logs.

One  idea I have in mind is  , after the tab item which displays  data gird is loaded  I am trying to programmatically select the tab. Even this also doesn't help , I think simply calling " tab.isSelected = true " is not enough. 

Any other idea you guys have? At least if I am able to select the tab through code as a last activity then it may select the tab. Well , this  makes sense from theory point of view but practically not sure whether this is a good approach.

Thanks,

Brahmaji.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:07 AM