Move Shared Data Sources RRS feed

• Question

• I am a recent hire and came into a SQL 2005 reporting services environment. We now have a SQL Server 2008 Reporting environment and I need to move all of the reports over to the new server. I was able to pull down the .rdl files from the 2005 server for the reports, but how can I copy over the shared data sources? I can't find any .rsd files on the 2005 server, but I can see the shared data sources through the web-based ReportsServer.

The old reports work, so the data sources must be somewhere, I just can't find them!

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi hkflight,

Thanks for your question and Igor’s reply. Generally speaking, we don’t recommend you move the report and shared datasources to the new server directly.

Actually, in order to migrate SSRS from 2005 to 2008, we should make a lot of preparations and pay much attention to certain important affairs. For more detail steps and notices about this question, I would recommend you reference this article in MSDN: How to: Migrate a Reporting Services Installation.

Hope it helps you. If you have any other questions, please feel free let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Monday, August 15, 2011 3:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharp Wang Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:20 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:26 AM

All replies

• You can view a report's data sources.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155882(v=sql.90).aspx

Remember to mark as an answer if this post has helped you.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The link you sent refers to report-specific data sources and not shared data sources. Also, I am able to see a listing of my shared data sources in ReportsServer, but I can't download them in order to upload them into the new 2008 server.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:01 PM
  • You can use the scripter tool to accomplish your goal.

http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62

Remember to mark as an answer if this post has helped you.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hi hkflight,

Thanks for your question and Igor’s reply. Generally speaking, we don’t recommend you move the report and shared datasources to the new server directly.

Actually, in order to migrate SSRS from 2005 to 2008, we should make a lot of preparations and pay much attention to certain important affairs. For more detail steps and notices about this question, I would recommend you reference this article in MSDN: How to: Migrate a Reporting Services Installation.

Hope it helps you. If you have any other questions, please feel free let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Monday, August 15, 2011 3:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharp Wang Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:20 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:26 AM