Somebody knows some site that evaluates tools ORM? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to buy a tool for my DAL, but there are many in the market. Can recommend me some in special or indicating some Web site to me that evaluates these tools?

It is good idea to use these tools? I am worried about the speed of answer.

Thans a lot

JL

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 1:29 AM

All replies

• From my experience the best site would be:

http://www.codegeneration.net/

Also some tips:

1. Get a generator where you can easily customize the pattern of generated code e.g. template based generators.

2. Get a generator that has a big community behind it.

3. I prefer text based generators because they are the most flexible.

4. Don't spend too much money on the generation engine, rather focus on the templates, or patterns that you need to generate.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  

Jose,

I would be tempted to go the code generated route.  Whilst this isn't a foregone conclusion, I think you often find with pre-existing solutions that are generalised, they're often not quite what you want, and may force you to work around your code instead of refactoring for a solid solution.  If you have control over how the output is generated, knowing what you know about the problem space, you're probably more likely to be able to control the outcomes better.

Having said the above, I think it's also good to have the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes by using something pre-existing.  You just have to be very careful with your analysis, so that you make sure that the potential solution fits your needs now and in the foreseeable future.

I do prefer not to be reinventing solutions, if there's something out there, I guess my point is to choose something that allows rapid development, whilst still providing the ability to completely override should that situation be necessary in the future.

I'm sorry that I haven't exactly answered your question, but I think it's something that you need to consider for the specific problem space you find yourself in.

Cheers,

Martin.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:15 AM
  • I'd avoid using tools that generate "too much" code. It seems totally unnecessary that your ORM tool generates a whole bunch of code. Also it seems that toolkits that use plain .net objects with metadata tagging using attributes can generate much more appropriate queries at runtime.

I'm playing around with Diamond Binding at the moment, and it makes me feel kinda comfortable that I can see that the metadata it generates is simple (like [Column("foo")] public int foo) - so if I need to do anything by hand I can just drop it in my side of the partial classes and it works. Found that useful because it can serialize any .net object into a varbinary automatically.

I've always found that templates get you like 95% of the way there, but the last 5% takes weeks, and you can never regenerate your datalayer again without blowing away the changes. DB is pretty cool how the resync button doesnt break anything - still scary though, heh.

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:44 AM