none
Custom style does not retain basic styles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We had created a new custom style named "myDocStyle" with definition as

Font: Tahoma, Indent: Left:  0", First line:  0",  No bullets or numbering, Style: Quick Style, Based on: Normal.

When I apply the custom style, the output is removing the basic styles as per the below scenarios

scenario 1: Hello World

Output: Hello World (Bold has been removed)

scenario 2: Hello World

Output: Hello World (Bold has NOT been removed)

Scenario 3:  Hello World

Output: Hello World (Bold has been removed)

The same thing happens with Underline and Italics as well. Read from a blog that if the basic formatting (B/I/U) is applied for more than half of the words to which we apply the custom style, then the basic formatting will be removed. Is this an issue with Word 2007/2010? How can I overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot. Sree
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Sree

I moved this question to the Word Developer forum because you're more likely to encounter folks here with lots of practical experience with styles. So far, though, it seems there are no "takers"...

I'm aware of the principle you say you found on a blog, but I don't remember the details (if you could post a link?). I'm sure this does apply throughout all versions of Word, although it may differ slightly in detail between versions.

How do you want the scenario to work when you apply your custom style? Should the direct formatting be retained or removed? Removing it would be easy; retaining more difficult, but still possible...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:36 AM
  • When you apply a paragraph style, direct formatting is retained if is applied to less than 50% of a paragraph. Otherwise, the formatting will be cleared.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Cindy & Stefan,

This is the link i refered in my previous reply http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=120906

Thanks a lot. Sree
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:13 PM