install IIS on vista home basic RRS feed

• Question

• can someone tell me if i can install IIS on vista home basic because as far as i tried it is not possible untill i upgrade it to home premium or some higher version.............

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• The short answer is no for even Vista Home premium because IIS 7 in Vista Home premium comes without Windows authentication so you need Vista Ultimate home or Vista Business.  One of the reasons is IIS 7 needs to be in IIS 6 mode for current Asp.net development. Try the link below for Vista versions and IIS 7 features.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/0d35e92b-ddb7-4423-b1e5-df550e25713b1033.mspx?mfr=true

http://www.iis.net/1100/SinglePageArticle.ashx

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Hello,

If I want to install IIS on Windows Vista basic then what will be the options?
    Can someone provide the link to download the IIS7.0 for Vista basic.

Thanks
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:04 AM
  • The only option is to buy Vista Ultimate or Business because you cannot use Vista Basic to run VDW or other Asp.net tools.

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:13 PM
  • Delete Vista and re-install the XP

I so regert to install Vista ~~

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:38 PM
  • This is hard to believe.  I'm even more angry at Microsoft than ever.  You know the uses of IIS with Vista Home Premium are almost all there except Windows Authentication.  Why would that not be a feature available?  Visual Studio 2008 runs fine on Vista Home Premium and it uses Windows Authentication.  ____ it even ties to SQL Server which is another use of Windows Authentication.  I'm just starting to use IIS 7.0 and if this ____ about needing to pay Microsoft more money to test web apps on Vista with IIS is true they should all be taken out lined up againt the wall and shot.  At least when I was learning Java I could get Apache Tomcat for free.  What nonscense.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Seriously this is totally ridiculous , my lappy came with a windows vista basic , what can i do man , they didnt tell me what all wasn't there in vista basic
    Now microsoft expects me to buy a new OS , its totally unacceptable.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 11:25 AM
  • I think that you may understand that MS made different version for different purposes. As the name says it is Vista HOME BASIC, it means that is for the HOME and that it is BASIC. What do you expect?

And you can upgrade, no need to buy a new OS.

Friday, June 12, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I agree with Brian Q above, and Sushant below.  This is another ridiculous example of Microsoft completely ignoring the needs of the customer. 

Vista Home Premium works with Visual Studio 2008, IIS, SQL etc.  When you do a compatiibility check on the Microsoft Vista Compatibility site for Visual Studio 2008 it says it is compatible with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  Why on earth would Microsoft think anyone would purchase VS2008 and not want to use Asp.NET development features?  There are no warnings about this on the compatibility site.  Microsoft seems to think its okay for the customer to find out the bad news AFTER MAKING THE PURCHASE.

Unfortunately I have a lot of time and money already invested in Microsoft development products.  This little stunt is almost enough to push me over the edge and make me a MAC convert. 
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:21 AM
  • Hi Russ,

VS2005/8 comes with built in Web server which you can use for development including debugging however per the web tools team you could use the IIS if you are not using windows authentication.  Then again I could be wrong I will check the latest and update this thread.

Russ I am back there are two solution the quick and easy add an entry of Localhost to your system 32 folder check below for details.

http://accidentaltechnologist.com/asp-net/aspnet-development-server-problems-under-vista/

MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I agree Brian. I have Vista Home Premium which also does not have Windows Authentication as an option to select in IIS.  Because of this, I cannot install SQL Server 2005 Developer.  I hope this is a bug and Microsoft will come out with a fix or patch soon.  If anyone know of one, please reply with fix.  In the meantime, does that mean I need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate?  
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:59 AM
  • You could install SQL Server developer 2005 without SSRS and for development you could use SQL Server 2008 SSRS with SQL Server 2005  as a work around, so check below and the last comment shows how to use SSRS 2008 with 2005 in Vista home premium.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2007/03/19/candy-apple-grey-installing-ssrs-and-windows-vista.aspx

Friday, June 26, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Micrososoft should not include IIS in the Vista Home Basic. I am learning web applications at home.
    It took me 2 days to check what is wrong with the web service. The MSDN definitely wrote Vista -without clarify Business version fo the ASP.net to run.

Tommy Leung 
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Micrososoft should not include IIS in the Vista Home Basic. I am learning web applications at home.
    It took me 2 days to check what is wrong with the web service. The MSDN definitely wrote Vista -without clarify Business version fo the ASP.net to run.

Tommy Leung 

VS2005/8 comes with builtin dev server and I have posted other alternative in this thread, so if you had run a search you would have found a fix in less than one day.

Friday, March 12, 2010 5:40 PM
  • My laptop has home premium. i installed IIS and its working fine.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:00 AM
  • That is not true.

You Can run asp.net apps hosted on IIS7.0 on Vista Home Premium x64.

In IIS7.0, clicl on Application Pools node, select the application pool your app is pooled in (in my case it was DefaultAppPool), right click on the pool entry in the table/grid, advanced settings, in the property window select LocalSystem.

[To know which application pool your app belongs - Right click on the Sites node in IIS, right click on your app node, click on Manage Application, advance settings, you will see the app pool for your app in the propertie window].

This resolves the win authentication issue.

Clearly, this not recommended for production grade hosting, but for a solo developer trying to learn/test/prototype, it works out.

Monday, May 3, 2010 12:12 PM
  • U r using vista home basic first go to control panel and click the program and features in the classic view click turn on or off window,when u click open a window in window click all the options then ok wait after some minutes ..........u can see the IIS in Administrative  tool thanx if u cant find open run and type inetmgr.........ok
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:33 AM
  • This is the reason why we fully support piracy...........

Microsoft is a cheater, trying to loot your money.....................

I always felt guilty on using pirated software but not anymore....................

Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:34 AM