hyperlink to a download RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a zip folder for for downloading off my site. How do I link the download button to the download with the save or open dialog box .

Thank you much

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:58 PM

Answers

• You link it the same way you link anything. (I don't know what button you mean.  All you need is a link.)

That dialog is not under your control.  It (or the file opening automatically without a dialog) is a result of the browser and what add-ons it has, what programs are installed on the user's computer, what options the user has set in the browser, and what type of file it is.

For zip files, most likely users will just be prompted to save them.

• Marked as answer by alacazoo Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:25 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:54 AM

All replies

• You link it the same way you link anything. (I don't know what button you mean.  All you need is a link.)

That dialog is not under your control.  It (or the file opening automatically without a dialog) is a result of the browser and what add-ons it has, what programs are installed on the user's computer, what options the user has set in the browser, and what type of file it is.

For zip files, most likely users will just be prompted to save them.

• Marked as answer by alacazoo Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:25 AM
  • The same way you create a hyperlink to a file. See as an example http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/ocean/

I happen to use a button for the download but it could just as easily be a plain text link. Highlight the text or graphic you want to use for the link > right click > choose hyperlink > browse to the file . Click OK Add a screen tip for more detail if you like.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

• Oh my ! That is it ? Don't I feel simple.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:25 AM
  • For the sake of completeness, I wanted to mention that there is a way via ASP.net programming to create download links that have several benefits over the basic way to handle it mentioned above. The first benefit is that you can hide the real location of your file. The 2nd benefit is that the file name that the user sees does not have to be the the real file name on the server. And finally, it will force a "save as" instead of leaving the choice to the user's web browser.

As this is an Expression Web and not a ASP.net forum, I won't lay out the details. But if you are interested, Google something like "asp.net download contenttype".

Rick Dieffenbach
    www.ProfessionalWebsiteReview.com
    Tutorials for reviewing your website

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:50 AM
  • You can add some JavaScript to the link to give a simple way to suggest users Save rather than Open a file, as follows.

<a onmouseover="self.status='Downloadable file'; return true" onmouseout="self.status=''" onclick="alert('Please right click and use \'Save Target/Link As\'.'); return false"  href="dummydoc.pdf">document link</a>

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:33 AM