none
Broken road labels affecting pushins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It seems like there is an issue with road labels while in road that is affecting pushpins. Sometimes the road labels will not appear around zoom level 12 after initializing the map which seems to be causing the behavior. Zoom 11 & zoom 13 seem to be fine. 

I am not setting the "allowHidingLabelsOfRoad" when creating the map object, so it should be defaulting to false.

When the labels seem to be stuck not rendering, there is an uncaught JavaScript exception "Uncaught tt {}" coming from the mapcontrol release branch. The "throw n" at the bottom of the following code snippet seems to be the source when trying to interact with any pushpins in road:

t.prototype.logCriticalError = function(n, i, r) {
                var f = mapsNamespace.GlobalConfig, h = mapsNamespace.Internal._CoreConfig().mapcontrolVersion, u = i && i.data && i.data.url, o;
                if (u = u && u.toLowerCase(),
                f.isMapsVertical || f.isMapsAnswer || !u || u.indexOf("virtualearth.net") > -1 || u.indexOf("bing.com") > -1 || u.indexOf("microsoft.com") > -1 || u.indexOf("live.com") > -1 || u.indexOf("bingapis.com") > -1) {
                    u && (i.data.url = this._cleanUrl(u));
                    o = n ? n.stack : u ? u : "";
                    i && i.data && i.data.stack && (o += ";" + i.data.stack);
                    (f.isMapsVertical || f.isMapsAnswer) && r && (o += ";" + window.location.href);
                    var s = !n && u
                      , e = {
                        T: s ? t.MapsWarning : t.MapsError,
                        feature: "SDK",
                        action: i ? i.action : "",
                        data: i ? i.data : "",
                        partner: "Maps",
                        horizontal: f.isMapsVertical ? "Vertical" : f.isMapsAnswer ? "MapSerp" : "SDK" + h,
                        Name: s ? "MapsNetwork" : "JSError",
                        Text: n ? n.message : i ? this._serializeData(i.data) : "",
                        Stack: o
                    }
                      , c = n ? "unhandledEx:" : u ? "network:" : "handledEx:";
                    if (e.Text = e.horizontal + ";" + c + e.Text,
                    n && (f.isMapsVertical || f.isMapsAnswer)) {
                        n.message = e.Text;
                        throw n;
                    } else
                        ++this._exceptionCount <= 16 && (this.logObject(e, f.dynamicProperties.mapsIG),
                        this.flush())
                }
                if (n)
                    throw n;

I have been able to switch to aerial which allows me to interact with pushpins and does not throw any errors, but when i switch back to road, the error begins again and any pushpins become erratic and start throwing the above JavaScript error.

I have been able to replicate this behavior consistently around DeSoto national forest in Mississippi around zoom level 12 while in road.

The application has been utilizing the Bing map for a couple of years now, so this seems to be relatively new behavior.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Friday, April 26, 2019 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Update:

It looks like if you initialize the map in liteMode: true, this error goes away. Given that fact, it looks like there may be a bug with vector label collision .

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Hello Broc8875,

I have passed a link to your post to the Bing Maps V8 team for review.  Can you reproduce this issue with the interactive SDK?

Sincerely,

IotGirl

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:23 PM
    Owner
  • lotGirl,

I tried to use the interactive SDK to add a pushpin around the area and zoom that I was experiencing the issue.and I cannot replicate it.

However, the behavior still exists as I described in our app if I turn liteMode back to false.

Let me know if there is any other information that I can give you.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:09 PM
  • Hi Broc,

We do need to see it here to know what is going on.  Do you know what might be different in your set up that the iSDK?  Note: The team just deployed a fix involving Zoom and pushpins with a different repro than yours but can you see if your issue was fixed as well?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, May 3, 2019 4:22 PM
    Owner
  • loTGirl,

It still happens if I set liteMode: true when creating the map. We have an entire application built on top of the mapping JS so it would take a while to take things apart and try and figure out where the bug comes up.

The map was fine for around 2 years until a few weeks ago.  Once I set liteMode to false the error stopped and its been fine since. If something else happens or we have bandwidth to see why the non liteMode version breaks, we will.

If you want to close this, I reopen this or create an other thread if we have time to reproduce the error in our setup.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Hi Broc,

The Bing Maps V8 control did deploy a change two weeks ago.  Can I get you to submit a ticket through https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/support and select "Enterprise Customer Support" so that we can dig into this directly with you?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:04 PM
    Owner
  • loTGirl,

I opened a ticket. Do you want the case number? or do you want me to just work with them?

Thanks.

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Hi Broc,

I work with them so you will have my direct contact email at the bottom of the emails you receive from the team.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:39 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

We are running into the same issue. Our app has not been updated in more than a year and has been running without any problem until a few weeks ago.

The map freezes and is unresponsive when loading. Pushpins do not display and we see the same "uncaught tt {}" exception in the console. This only happens at zoom level 12.

Turning on liteMode fixes the problem, but we would prefer to have the vector labels.

Is there any resolution to this issue?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:50 PM
  • Hi gnetty,

The Support team has provided Broc's request as above to the Engineering Team for the Bing Maps Control. Is your situation any different?  

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, May 31, 2019 5:18 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Our situation is exactly the same. Any ETA on a fix?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks.

Gabe

Monday, June 3, 2019 5:47 PM
  • Hi Gabe,

I know the team is working on it so it is not sitting in the backlog but I don't know how close they are to a solution.  The Support Team is tracking in though so I am confident that they will report when a fix is in place.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, June 3, 2019 10:27 PM
    Owner
  • A fix has been released yesterday.  Let us know if you still have any outstanding issues.
    Friday, June 7, 2019 3:15 PM
  • It appears to be working for us now.

Thank you!

Friday, June 7, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Thank you for confirming the fix!
    Monday, June 10, 2019 3:51 PM
    Owner