Custom Enterpise Field update problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem that seems simple but I cannot figure it out.

We have a project for our weekly PC Replacement project.  We are trying to replace 8/week.

I have created 2 custom enterprise fields on Project Server 2010 (proposed units, actual units) and set them up as follows: 
    Entity: Task
    Type: Number
    Rollup: Sum
    Roll down, unless manually specified

I have added the 2 new fields to our My Tasks page on the My Assignments view.  I can verify they do show up.

The problem is that when users enter data in either of these 2 fields, they do not flow up to the project.  The changes do not show in either PWA nor Project Professional. On the flip side, when I enter data for these fields in Project Professional and Save/Publish it will push these updates so that they show up in their My Tasks.  However, if the user already had data entered in the field it will NOT overwrite it.

What am I missing? Is this a bug?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• Everything is working as it should be.  What you're seeing is Task and Assignment
    level data.  When you update the Task level field, it flows down as you told
    it to.

When users update the data in PWA, it's at the assignment level.  You'll
    see that in MS Project in the Task Usage view - if you add the custom field.

There's no native way to roll up assignment level data for custom fields
    as it's difficult to define a common rule, should it roll up the sum, the
    average, the maximum, etc.?  It's relatively easy to generate some VBA code
    that rolls it up for you though.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:38 PM