none
Ship this with Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm not kidding.

The biggest mistake as far as damage to the programming trade that MS ever made was to remove QBasic from Windows. They can fix that by including this in Windows 7, making it easy to get to (a shortcut right in Accessories), and then letting people actually learn something about their machines the same way so many of their own programmers started out (according to the SB story). The requirement to download this intentionally (and therefore already have someone around who is "pushing" it on you) prevents it from actually having the same effect that just putting QBasic on every DOS and Windows machine had.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:14 AM

All replies

• Thanks Isaac. That is very encouraging, and I agree with you on all points.  It's a little too late for inclusion in Win7.  We'll see what we can do for the future.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:29 PM
  • How about adding it to the first service pack???? i can see this as being extremely popular, i know my kids would love it
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:45 PM
  • I have to agree, this would be neat to include.

I was working with my son on the Scratch programming system and he kept asking to try something more advanced, like he sees his father working on all day. So today we downloaded Small Basic, printed out the manual and got through the first 20 pages or so together. We modified the 'What is your name?' program to be a Mad libs style story game, and had a lot of fun with it!

I cut my teeth programming Atari 800 basic and this brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks for working on it

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:08 AM
  • I believe it will re-spark an interest in programming. That definately cannot be a bad thing.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:30 AM
  • I TOTALLY AGREE..

MS needs to provide people with an out of the box programming language again. This would be a great selling point for Windows and gives people more of a feel for computing and control over the box. There needs to be more creative type programs provided as part of the main OS.

Cheers

Dean

PokeyStuff
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:15 AM
  • As a beginner at this, I am curious what the "damage to the programming trade" is?  What is the present state of the programming trade?  Is there a shortage of programmers?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:34 AM
  • I totally agree.

I usually care for our company's trainees and I'm using Small Basic to teach them some basic programming skills. With big success. It's much easier for them doing their first steps in .Net if they had their first experiences with the turtle ;).

Even our new female trainee is having fun with the "colorfull" IDE and the "cute" Turtle. So it would be great if every bored user could do some coding in Small Basic instead of drawing circles with Paint!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 1:05 PM