none
Choosing a version (3.5 or 4.5.2)

Question

• I'm writing up a coding standards document and I plan on recommending .NET 3.5. It's now 8 years old, so I am apprehensive selecting a framework that I'm comfortable vs. one that may help me advance as a developer. I am concerned about the new versioning (4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2).  I don't want to be on the bleeding edge, consistently going to the team with a new standard for development.  My other issue with newer frameworks, is that clients may not have them installed, while I'm pretty sure 3.5 is on most Windows PCs by now.

Your thoughts and/or experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 2:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

can you give us more details please?

In my eyes, you got the core points. But who are your customers that are using your application? Is it really a problem for them to get a newer Framework? 

We like to use new features so we target the newest Framework. But we have target a specific customer where this is not a problem.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for your response Konrad.  We do not currently have a product or a customer.  Also, the future product(s) may be Windows forms applications or web applications.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2016 5:45 PM
  • Hi Wild.Bill.Work,

I agree with Konrad's suggestion, the product will be dependent on the customer's requirement.

The new .NET Framework would have more new features, I also suggest you use the latest version, the client could install the .NET Framework singly even if the customer has no it in default Environment.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Certainly something to take into account:
    Microsoft Support Lifecycle
    https://support.microsoft.com/us-en/lifecycle#gp/Framework_FAQ

With kind regards

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

maybe it also helps when I give you some detailed thoughts:

- We also develop mainly web applications. These are just installed on a small number of servers so there isn't much effort to install the latest .Net Framework. So we use the latest .Net Framework (4.6.1) for our development. It is simplynice to be able to use the latest C# features. Some features are not used at all but sometimes it simply simplifies your code and makes it easier to read / understand.

- When you develop client applications, then you have a big "problem", because you have to decide what kind of application you want to develop. For consumers it  could be nice to have an application in the store so UWP could be technology to choose. But a lot of users still do not use Windows 10, so maybe a classic Windows Desktop application could be of interest (Using WPF or windows forms). But also other technologies might be of interest. So you might want to use Xamarin or even switch to Apache Cordova (HTML, CSS3, JavaScript based Applications) So the question regarding target .Net Framework is not even the first question to ask. 

- For Desktop Applications you have to decide, what .Net version to target. If you already build .Net Applications with .Net 4.6.1 then you might have a library ready that you want to use, too. So at least we target 4.6.1 for client applications, too. But if you target users that do not have a fast / reliable internet connection, then you should avoid the use of 4.6.1. Then .Net 4 might be a good solution. In the worst case even 3.5 (depending on your clients).

- If .Net Framework really might be a problem, then you might even consider using c++ to build native application.

But let us take a look what is comming: .Net Core is comming. That way you can build applications that even run on multiple systems (Windows, Linux, Mac). So that might be a nice thing in the future. (And it is open source so it future proove.) And Microsoft also works on a native compilation. So maybe in the future there will be a great solution for this problem.

Another point that could be of interest; You might want to build an installer. That way you could make sure at install time that the .Net framework is installed and that even users that have problems doing installations on their own can easily install your application.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 8:11 AM
  • I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions.  Unfortunately, I feel more lost now than two days ago. I took your advice, I decided I was being too stubborn and upgraded to Visual Studio 2015. Upon creating a new project, I see options for 4.6 and 4.6.1.  These updates are happening so fast, I don't even know they exist. I remember when 2.0 came out, I researched, liked what I saw and made the change. When 3.0 came out I waited for 3.5, but again I like the enhancements so I upgraded. Since then its (4.0, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1). The reason I loved the older framework was because it was not constantly changing, but when it did, it was worth while to upgrade.  I think I will skip the 4x series completely and embrace 5.0.  Do you know of a timeline when 5.0 will be beta/release?
    Thursday, June 09, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Hi Wild.Bill.Work,

No .NET 5.0 now, it is the .NET Release history:

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Maybe you could pay attentions to the Microsoft official site or blogs, generally it will share us the latest product release information.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 09, 2016 8:44 AM