Azure LoadBalancer question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

We have two websites hosted in our Azure Tenant .

Website A hosted in two VMS behind a loadbalancer

Website B hosted in one VM an not behind loadbalancer

from websiteA i can reach website B when i clicked in a carrers Botton , i dont know how this redirection was done ?

Second thing , it's possible to make website B behind this loadbalancer or i should create new load balancer ?

Regards

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:40 AM

All replies

• If all the VMs are on same vNet, or on peered vNet the communication takes place via the default routes of Azure virtual network. 

Technically, you can use the existing LB if they reside on the same vNet. However, if you are using Basic Azure LB, it's free. So, feel free to use a new one for the VM which hosts website B. :) 

• Proposed as answer by Rohan Islam Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:13 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Thanks .the Website B is hosted in one VM , in tis case should i duplicate this VM and then make it behind the new LoadBalancer , because a Website hosted in one VM behind a LoadBalancer dosent give any advantages ! i"m wrong ?

Regards

Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Yes, you are correct (unless you want to use public load balancer for inbound NAT rule.) 

To use a Basic LB you need to have two VMs in an Availability Set. As the Website B VM already you cannot directly add it in an Availability Set, you have to do it via Powershell with downtime. Then create another identical VM and put in the same Availability Set while creation.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:12 AM
  • thanks .no i have a good idea.should just dubplicate the VM with a Diffrent IP or i have to do some parameters inside this VM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:39 PM
  • There are two things in the questions.

1) How does the Web Site A is accessible from Web Site B

By default system routes all the VM's defined in same VNet (Irrespective of the subnet) are accessible.

2)  it's possible to make website B behind this load balancer or i should create new load balancer

you can create New Load balancer and add 2 VM to backed pool with web site B hosted on those VMs'

the reason for this is,Load Balacer works on the Server address,It will not look at the Domain name of the site.

Experts...Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:55 PM
  • You do not have to do any custom configuration within the VM in order to put them behind the LB. You just need another identical VM which hosts the same stateless application. 
    • Proposed as answer by Rohan Islam Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:24 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:20 PM
  • You do not have to do any custom configuration within the VM in order to put them behind the LB. You just need another identical VM which hosts the same stateless application. 

@azuriste If this answered your query, please click "Mark as answer" so that it can be beneficial for others in the community as well. 

Thanks,

Rohan Islam | Azure Architect

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:16 AM