Parent/child relationships in issues lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are almost finished installing Sharepoint 2007 here at my work, but I would like to hit the ground running when it is done. A major need we have is the need to have an issues list with the ability to drill down to sub-issues that are located within other lists. Obviously, the lists would have to have a common field, but the big problem is how to associate the child lists with their parent. Is anything like this possible in SPS 2007? If so, do we need to do anything else besides install SPS 2007?

Thanks,

SR

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• This can be accomplished by adding a column within your "parent" list that would be a Lookup to another Issues list in the site (being your "child" list).

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Yes, but to be able to pull 'child' items from multiple lists you would have to add multiple columns to the parent. This wouldn't work because if we had 20 child lists we would have to add 20 columns to our parent lists. We want to be able to add one column to the parent that could pull from potentially all 20 child lists if the values match.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:46 PM
  •  

Have you tried the "Allow multiple selection" option?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:31 PM
  • No, I don't remember seeing that option. Are you referring to Sharepoint 2007? If so, that's probably why I have not seen it.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:49 PM
  • I am referring to SPS 2007 (more accurately referred to as MOSS 2007).

Friday, July 27, 2007 1:56 AM
  •  Curtis Ruppe (MicroStaff IT) wrote:

Have you tried the "Allow multiple selection" option?

Woudn't this only allow multiple items from the same "child" list?

Monday, October 1, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Yes, this did not work as I expected.

Friday, October 5, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Is this a simple two-tier relationsip? Ie, one level of parent items, one level of child items?

If so, the child item could have a "parent field".

Then, the parent list could have a 'child items' field that is a URL that points to the child list using a specific view only showing children with that particular parent.Yes, it's a 'hack' compared to a typical relational DB query, but should only require the addition of one field.

If this needs to go 'deeper' than that, I think you really need a realtional database set up as a custom app, as MOSS doesn't really handle that type of relation very well.
    Friday, October 5, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Its one parent with children from multiple different lists. I think that's where my problem lies, but your suggestion could help me for another issue I had.

Thank you,

DHX

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:20 PM
  • You might be able to do what you want by creating a parent item as a content type that inherits from the folder content type.

You could then create child content types that are lookups to the multiple different lists you mention. One would have a lookup field that pointet to items in List A, the next in list B etc.

That way, you could have a parent item, then create child items of differing content types depending on what list the look up from. The only limitation is that parent item "name" fields have to be unique because they're acting like folders.

Cheers,

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:40 PM
  • This is interesting, I will try this. thank you

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:56 PM